Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35351 - 02/19/02 10:38 PM Madrid Airport ATM
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Loc: California
I will be arriving in Madrid at about 9:00 a.m. on a Monday morning in June. Will I be able to use an ATM at the airport to change money or should I bring some euros with me? Thanks.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#35352 - 02/19/02 10:54 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I can't recall if there's an ATM in Barajas Airport, one part of me says there HAS to be, but then again the other part says that this is Spain, they don't HAVE to do anything!! But by the time you get there, the exchange booths should be open and ready to change your money (including a hefty fee!!)

GG

#35353 - 02/19/02 11:17 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
There's an ATM in the international terminal in the Madrid airport. I remember specifically because I was conservative and bought some money from my bank before leaving. My friend walked right up to the ATM and got money out at a much better conversion rate. eek

I don't remember where it was exactly but I think it was near the RENFE booth. It's not hard to miss.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: CathyM ]

#35354 - 02/19/02 11:36 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The ATMs are everywhere in Barajas airport. I remember specifically standing in line last January at the Iberia check-in counter (not at the gate, but where you check your bags) and got some Euros for parking for my ladyfriend and the ATM was within site, just 15 meters away.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35355 - 02/20/02 02:22 AM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
Catalina Ciriza Offline

To all of you who responded, thank you. I want you to know that I posted this same question at the fodors website and received several snide replies. Clearly, this is a superior message board! Thank you, MM smile

#35356 - 02/20/02 05:45 AM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Catalina Ciriza writes:
Quote:
...Will I be able to use an ATM at the airport to change money or should I bring some euros with me?
There's several ATM's: upper level, down toward Terminal #2. You'll find fewer in the International Arrivals area - My 'take' on the situation is: the 'Cambios' make so much money on Commissions and 'less than best' exchange rates that they can buy a 'lock' on that area (i.e., restrict the number of ATM's that may be installed there). eek
The nice part about it that they'll smile and tell you 'have a nice day' all the while they are 'soaking' you. rolleyes
BTW
Don't (I repeat: do not!) even think about exchanging a small amount of Travelers Cheques or Currency at a 'Cambio.' That's when the money changers really get into your pockets: They charge a minimum commission of about 12 Euros: So you change $50 USD to Euros and you should get about 56 Euros. But take that commission off the top and you wind up with about 44 Euros. Hey, I could have a nice lunch with those 12-Euros. laugh

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#35357 - 02/20/02 07:12 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Eddie- Thanks for the warning.
I was told by another poster that if I exit through door #1 in the international terminal, there are 3-4 ATMs in front of the car rental booths. Has anyone else used these? Are they there? confused confused confused

#35358 - 02/24/02 03:32 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
sabalagirl Offline

Loc: Utah
wink I have used the ATM near the Avis car rental booth inthe madrid airport. I took
pesetas the first time but did not do it the next two times and just used the airport atm to get the moneyfor the taxi/shuttle/lunch etc.

#35359 - 02/24/02 10:13 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
You just jogged my memory. The ATM my friend used was in the area of the car rental agencies. She had no problem.

#35360 - 02/24/02 10:55 PM Re: Madrid Airport ATM
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Personally, I would bring a few Euros, maybe 50 or so, just in case. You never know, the ATMs could be down, or you could have some unexpected problem with your ATM, or you could have difficulty finding the ATM.Though you may be getting a bad exchange rate, you're not really losing that much as long as you don't buy too many euros before the trip. Compared to the total expense of the trip, the money lost on such a small transaction due to an unfavorable exchange rate is such a miniscule part of the total cost of the trip that it's becomes just "noise". Besides, after a long trip, the last thing I want to do is find and fight those ATM machines. I head straight for my hotel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments