Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35285 - 09/03/01 08:21 PM (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
Juliet Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Hello All My Little Helpers:
I live in Hawaii and will be in Madrid in mid October. As you can imagine coming from 85-90F butt baring heat is slightly intimidating.

The Problem: My Hawaii Groove Wear consists of nothing more than strappy sandals w/heals and something that has NO SLEEVES - whether it be tank tops or dresses.

The Question: Will I be able to bare the cobblestone and freezing nights w/what I've got? I've been told not to sacrifice COMFORT for VANITY. But hey, I ain't goin to MADRID for COMFORT!!!

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#35286 - 09/03/01 09:39 PM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. You ARE in a bind, aren't you! smile I suggest wearing/taking your WARMEST clothing for the first couple of days and then just go SHOPPING!! Oh wait...that won't work because then you'll be "stuck" with all this beautiful, fashionable, European autumnwear when you get back to HOT-&-HUMID-HAWAII. Hmmm.. This IS a toughy. Anyone else? And remember, everyone will be wearing nearly nothing but greys, blacks, and navy blue.

Mid October is probably my favorite month for being in Madrid.. I was there last year for 2 weeks. It was nice during the days, sometimes windy and sometimes rainy, but most days clear and crisp. The nights were a bit chilly and a jacket might prove useful.

Good luck and have fun! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#35287 - 09/03/01 11:04 PM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Based on my experiences related to Hawaii, I think you'll find the days to be quite cool, and the evenings somewhat cold in the fall. If I was to compare it to a locale in Hawaii, it would be like spending time about half way up Mauna Loa. Highs in the low 60s to mid 70s, and nights between 45 and 55 degrees F. If I recall, Honolulu actually has a month or so where the average day time temp was around 72 to 73 degrees, so a bit cooler than that would be the norm you'd see at home.

Actually, I think Mid-September through October in Spain is the best time of the year. smile

Wolf

#35288 - 09/05/01 06:59 AM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
nevado Offline

Poor you! smile Well, there's really no getting around it, you're going to have to invest in some clothes and shoes (unless you could borrow something from someone). You mentioned vanity as a priority so I would suggest purchasing some basic pieces before you go and heading straight to the shops for a couple more. You must have some skirts you could wear hose with for warmth. Wear a tank top with a sweater and you have an outfit. Wear the same sweater everyday, no one will know or care, just keep changing your tanks or tees. A long, black tank dress would be a good investment. Something made of a wrinkle-free material (which would be oh so comfortable with Hawaii's humidity). smile If you buy basics that don't go out of style I'm sure you'll be able to use them on future trips.
If you happen to be a size 6, I'm in the process of dumping bags of clothes- I'd be happy to send you some pieces (all purchased in Spain).

#35289 - 09/05/01 03:18 PM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
Juliet Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Muchas Grassy ass Nevado, MM & Wolfman for the replies. FYI I walked into the office today and noticed a coworker wearing exactly what Nevado suggested. A TANK SWEATER SET! I begged her to undress so that I could try it on and dragged her to my computer to read your responses. Now.......what about the shoes? I bought a beautiful lace tank dress (w/matching sweater) but I don't think it will look half as nice with clunky sensible walking shoes. Will I fall on my face trying to walk on the cobblestone in heels? confused

#35290 - 09/06/01 03:36 PM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Juliet - I'm also from Hawaii (living in Boston now - WHY???) and understand exactly what you are faced with. Cost. Choices. Availability. Space. Are you flying directly to Madrid with only airport layovers? If not - and you have a day in SF or NY - pick up at least a sweater or two.

The only warm things you need in the Islands is a sweatshirt or light-weight sweater and a pair of jeans.

Juliet - buy shoes and warmer clothes in Madrid when you first get there. Not knowing your age, size, preference in clothing stlye - it's kind of hard to direct you to specific stores.

Theres lots of shopping / dressing info if you do a search and feel free to email me directly if I can help.

Have a wonderful wonderful time! Aloha -

#35291 - 09/07/01 03:28 AM Re: (Madrid) Shagadelic Groove Wear for October
Anonymous
Unregistered

These days are being a bit cold in the evenings and nights, no matter they are still hot in the midday. Sometines it menaces to rain, and in the noth of the province there was a brief hailstorm some nights ago. It is a mixed climate these days, and I think I heard another haistorm is expected soon.

You need to bring a/some pullover/s and warm shoes, or buy them here. Jeans will do, too.

Ignacio

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments