Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35130 - 06/03/01 10:10 PM Studying abroad--need advice
K Jolee Offline

Loc: U.S.
I am leaving at the end of august for Valladolid and I will be there until mid-december. I need advice on so many things it isn't even funny. However, the main things I need help on are as follows: 1) What clothes to bring. I am sure I will buy clothes while I am there, but I have heard Valladolid is very conservative. My question is what does that mean? 2) Where to go while in Spain. I am going to want to travel around on the weekends, so short trip ideas (and preferably not too expensive, I am on a student budget) would be very appreciated. I guess that is all I have for now, but I would be really grateful to anyone who can help me...

#35131 - 06/04/01 07:50 AM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
nevado Offline

Here are a couple of links to popular clothing chains. You can get some sort of an idea what women are wearing. College students don't dress up as much but they certainly don't crawl out of bed and show up to class in sweats and a T-shirt. Try and take some basics in solid colors and you can add to your wardrobe once you're there. I would avoid T-shirts with writing on them and sweatshirts. Also, don't take too many summer clothes because you won't see shorts at school. Take enough bras and underwear to last you the 6 months and also if you wear hose/tights, take them with you. They are pricey in Spain.

If you don't have room to take everything with you, send a box by boat in late June. It should arrive once the weather starts to cool off. Most everything in Spain is the same or less expensive than the U.S. so only take the necessary toiletries/makeup, etc. Do take a 6 month supply of deodorant- you won't find your brand or antiperspirants. If there's a hair product you can't live without, take some of that, too.

If you're not strapped for cash, have a ball and get new clothes!
http://www.mango.es/index.htm?ck=Y# http://www.zara.com/

#35132 - 06/04/01 03:50 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree with nevado's recommendations--if I were in your (enviable) position, I would take along mostly black/gray solid clothes (pants, sweaters, whatever) and maybe ONE pair of jeans (501s are best, I think, for not looking like your cut is too terribly out of style). Pick up whatever the popular colors are when you are there, and add a couple of trendy Spanish things. Shoes are easy to find there, though if you run/exercise, you should bring your favorites from home. Stay away from sneakers for other activities, and stick with leather for both sandals and shoes. I would bring whatever socks you like to wear, as I couldn't find any I liked in Spain when I studied there. And underwear from home too, because it was all really expensive, in my opinion! Same with bathing suits, if I remember correctly!

If you wear contact lenses, bring enough of the stuff you use to last your whole trip. And deodorant, as nevado says...the rest you can find there, unless you need particular brands or have allergies and have to be careful about unknown ingredients. I take along my favorite face wash, but use Spanish shampoo, conditioner, etc. I like buying makeup there, even if it's a little more expensive than at home, too.

And if you use a hair dryer, buy an inexpensive one there, rather than lugging along converters. You can always use it on future trips and can loan it to traveling friends.

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!
Tara

#35133 - 06/04/01 03:54 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Tip: You can find deodorant-antitranspirant in Spain, but you have to buy it in pharmacies. It is not more expensive thatn here and they are as effective as the one we use here

#35134 - 06/05/01 12:50 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
K Jolee Offline

Loc: U.S.
Muchas gracias! okay, next question, I know I am an idiot, but what is acceptable skirt length?

#35135 - 06/05/01 04:22 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Check your e-mail...I've lived in Valladolid, and have a few "pointers" for you. You'll love it!

#35136 - 06/05/01 06:25 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
nevado Offline

skirt length...whatever you're able to pull off! smile

#35137 - 06/05/01 10:57 PM Re: Studying abroad--need advice
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
skirt length depends entirely on how many piropos you want to hear. tighter than here is typical, and lengths are all over the place. i get a kick out of dressing a little more daringly than at home, so tend to wear shorter skirts...and it's fun to get the occasional admiring glance (and i have never minded the piropos...keep 'em coming, guys, they keep me feeling like i'm still 20!). really, you can wear any length as long as you match the length to the occasion--longer for visits to catedrales; shorter for discotecas.

have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments