Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#35030 - 05/14/01 02:36 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Thanks everyone, I get it now. But, I still didn't think that the bargains were all that great. But, like I said, I didn't shop for clothes. Shoes, and purses and scarves for me. Easy to pack. Burberry reminds me of old people, sorry...I'm sure the marketing people are trying to get to the younger shoppers and future sales, but I am not a fan. Tan plaid is not my thing.

#35031 - 05/15/01 05:19 AM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
James Offline

Loc: London
I read or heard somewhere recently that Burberry have withdrawn the franchise from the Spanish company that sells their clothes in Spain as they are worried about saturation. Also, out of interest, if you look at the labels on the Burberry clothes in the Corte Ingles concessions for example you'll see that they are different from the "official" ones. I expect that once the franchise has been withdrawn Burberry will still operate in Spain but selling its "official" lines for higher prices. So snap up the bargains now before it's too late.

#35032 - 11/21/01 08:07 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
When you all talk about "tennis shoes", do you include Nike sneakers? I would love to wear mine because they are the most comfortable in the whole world, but they look SO American! When we visited my daughter in Ecuador she wouldn't allow us to wear sneakers because we stood out so glaringly as gringos!

#35033 - 11/22/01 06:12 AM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You will seem american whatever you wear wink so wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

There is nothing bad in seeming american. We can argue that you may be an easier target for pickpocketers, but the reality is that those people is used to identify tourists. So, why modifying your wearing?

I didn't did it when I was in the States, and noone signaled me as an spaniard (but I obviously was looking as one). Yes, some people called me mexican, but that didn't have anything to do with my clothes for surem, and more with how I spoke (but someone told me I have an accent from Orlando!!) wink

Fernando

#35034 - 11/22/01 12:03 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Fernando
We are in Madrid in Feb 2002.Wheres the best place for Levi501s and Burberry shirts that has lowest prices.Thanks.

#35035 - 11/22/01 01:15 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I don't really know where Wakefield is (USA, UK, ...) but definitively it is not a good idea to buy Levi's or Burberrys in Spain IF you can do it in the States, or even in the UK. The prices are much different.

In the States, if I recall well, you may buy Levi's for, 40$? Levi's here cost 11.000 ptas, which is just 60$

Anyway, a good bigstore to buy clothes (but expensive one) is El Corte Inglés. Usually smaller shops have better prices.

Regards.

#35036 - 11/22/01 05:20 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Sorry Fernando , Wakefield is in Yorkshire , England.Here 501s cost between £40 and£50 so it does look like you pay about the same.Not that Im suggesting a wonderful organisation like Levis is price-fixing- no siree! mad eek :p

#35037 - 12/02/01 10:16 PM Re: Jeans to wear or not.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've been doing some pre-trip shopping and bought TWO new pairs of jeans and a pair of dress pants which were actually SEMI-tight so I'd "fit in" more. rolleyes Hahahhaa.. All my other jeans are rather baggy in the thighs and too long so they "buckle" at the shoes. I did the same with shirts, buying a couple more tighter fitting button down shirts. wink

Regarding shoes/slippers to wear on the plane on those long trips, the last couple of times I've worn those thick footies (which some airlines give) you can put on over your socks and they are much more comfortable than shoes and still keep your feet warmer than only with socks.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments