Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34995 - 04/17/01 07:35 PM Weather in May
betharita Offline

Loc: Sebring, Fl
We'll be in Madrid 10-12 May, Marbella from 12-19 and Barcelona from 19-25 May. What's the average temperature during that time in those areas? I'm trying to pack light but I'm afraid it might be too cool in the north for the cloths I had planned for the beach. Also, I read the question about shorts and the cathedrals but no one said if they were not allowed. I read they won't let you in with shorts. Is that true all over. What about jeans? Are they acceptable or considered too casual? My husband wears mostly jeans and his two pairs of khaki's are likely to die by the end of the trip.
Thanks smile

#34996 - 04/17/01 07:56 PM Re: Weather in May
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Do you mean jeans for the cathedral or just in general? Either way I think you will be fine. Jeans are not necessarily as commonly worn as they are here, but people do wear them. You definitely can go in cathedrals with jeans. As far as shorts in the cathedral I went in the cathedral in Salamanca in shorts but I don't know if it is permitted everywhere.

#34997 - 04/18/01 05:08 AM Re: Weather in May
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It depends: If you go to Toledo's Cathedral (or Malaga's) with a tourist group, shorts are acceptable. For Church services, they are frowned upon (if not prohibited).

The weather should be pretty nice in Madrid (80's), Marbella (80's, unless they get a sirocco from N.Africa, and Barcelona (70's).

Madrid will be in the middle of its annual San Isidro festivities when you arrive. laugh

#34998 - 04/18/01 11:23 AM Re: Weather in May
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I'm reading all these average temps and thinking of my trip to Madrid and Andalucia last May. It was cool and rainy in Madrid, mostly 60's (f). It rained part of every day I was in Madrid. I was told that it was an unusually wet spring at the time, and welcome as a two-year draught was broken. Just like spring in the USA, be ready for anything. And San Isidro is a blast!

#34999 - 04/18/01 11:52 AM Re: Weather in May
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I fully agree,average temperatures should be mild in Madrid. But be ready for anything. I have seen from almost 30º up to a little snow 10 years ago. There are basically two seasons Winter and summer, and keep in mind that this "weather year" (september to september) has been up to now verrr..y unsual.

This may change completely if your are moving off the central plateau (in which Madrid is located).

#35000 - 04/18/01 07:11 PM Re: Weather in May
betharita Offline

Loc: Sebring, Fl
eek I guess I better plan for everything! Sounds like a Chicago spring where I grew up..right Kurt? Thanks for the info. Question for Eddie...What is a sirocco? I'm guessing a cold front? As for the jeans, I did mean in general so you answered that. What I read about shorts in Catherdrals may have been for services (good point) but I got the impression some won't let you in at all. I think it was something I read about Seville. If anyone knows for sure, please reply. Thanks laugh

#35001 - 04/19/01 06:00 AM Re: Weather in May
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
A Sirocco is a southerly wind of the North African desert that can make it unbearably hot along the southern Spanish-Mediterranean beaches from time to time. Usually, it's considerably cooler along the coast than inland. When a Sirocco sets in, it gets hot and stays hot, day and night.
Not to worry: I have only experienced that phenomenon once in a dozen or so visits to Spain's Mediterranean coasts. laugh

#35002 - 04/21/01 02:01 PM Re: Weather in May
Caroline Offline

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Hello, Behtarita. This is Auntie Caroline. I just signed up. Sounds like weather will be a bit cooler than Florida. I'm still going to pack light; I can buy, buy, buy when I get there! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments