Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34945 - 04/25/02 08:33 AM Re: traveling light
travel agent Offline

Loc: new jersey
I've been a travel agent for 15 years. so I really take advantage of my discounts and travel alot.

I shop my local salvation army or mission store before a big trip. Buying tee shirts, sweaters, shirts, long skirts and jeans at dirty bottom prices. I pack all my finds in my suitcase.

As I wear the clothes, I throw them away. I don't have to worry about laundry or carrying the dirty items back home.

I return home either with an empty suitcase or a suitcase filled with souvenirs.

#34946 - 04/27/02 09:05 AM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
laugh I leave in 8 hours!!!! laugh

I do have a last minute question. wink I want to bring a light jacket with me, should I bring a denim jacket or a light short trench coat? The trench is black,has two pockets and a tie belt. Obviously the denim jacket is denim blue with 2 small pockets with buttons. Both are stylish and light to carry...Which should I bring? frown

Does the denim scream " Look at the American tourist!!! confused

I don't want to bring both, though I do have the room... rolleyes but I'm trying to pack lightly, right?

Really, really excited about the trip,
Wyndyl :p

Wyndyl

#34947 - 04/27/02 09:14 AM Re: traveling light
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
wyndyl, I don't think the denim jackets, which are apparently all the rage in Spain right now, will scream "AMERICAN!". It usually the combination of jean jacket, jeans, and tennis shoes that does it. I was standing in line at Barajas coming home a few weeks ago frown and saw a couple of "American" looking perfectly.. well... "American" with their jean jackets, jeans, and white tennis shoes. THIS was the man. The woman wore a jean jacket (or was it a denim shirt? -- I think THIS scream "AMERICAN!"), denim skirt, AND WHITE TENNIS SHOES!!! eek

I'm not so sure that denim makes for a lightweight suitcase though. Have a great trip!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34948 - 04/27/02 09:18 AM Re: traveling light
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks for the prompt reply, MM! smile I was starting to panic! I'm not usually up this early in the morning, but obviously, laugh too excited to sleep....

Thanks! I've promised to keep people up to date on this chicky's Spanish Adventure....whohoo laugh

Wyndyl wink

#34949 - 04/27/02 10:30 AM Re: traveling light
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Have a wonderful time! laugh We'll all be waiting to hear about your trip!

#34950 - 05/03/02 12:26 AM Re: traveling light
lagurl Offline

Perhaps someone can assist me. I will be in Madrid participating in an intern program June-August, then doing a bit of travelling. My dilema is that since I will be working...exactly what type of clothes to bring. I am fine in regards to my attire (casual) for running around town at night or on the weekends, but packing work clothes is a bit difficult. I have a lot of nice work clothes, but I want to blend and I am trying to keep it relatively light. Any ideas?

#34951 - 05/03/02 06:11 AM Re: traveling light
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
lagurl...I suppose it depends on the company that you will be working for. I am in and out of alot of businesses and deal with all levels of employees.

For the most part, the dress seems to be business casual for the ladies and men. Suits if you are in a higher managerial position. Pantsuits seem to be popular among the ladies in the marketing department of one company where I teach.

No sneakers or jeans. Stylish shoes and of course a nice scarf to add that splash of color. Jewelry tends to be tasteful and conservative (no huge earrings). Hair styles are sleek. No big hair with layers of hairspray and gel.

Also, keep in mind that Spaniards tend to "recycle" their clothes much more frequently than Americans. Meaning, it´s fine to wear the same pair of pants or blouse or skirt more than once or twice in the same week. Simply change the outfit and the accessories for a different look. That should help you to keep your packing light!

Hope this is helpful!

#34952 - 05/04/02 02:46 PM Re: traveling light
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I find shoes to be an interesting dilemma. I have been told that I must have Tevas to wear at the beach because the sand is hot enough to blister one's feet. I need brown leather walking shoes for the cities and a pair of brown leather sandals which can be worn during the day or in the evening with a dress. Plus, I have been told NOT to forget my tennis shoes to wear in the narural parks and for casual days. Yikes!!! I am taking more shoes than clothes!! About the tennis shoes .... I asked several OSU graduate students (from various parts of Spain) about tennis shoes. They all have white tennis shoes and wear them whenever they please. Their parents also have them, but wear them more selectively. It is our white socks that they find so amusing and the fact that sometimes people wear socks with sandals. One person showed me a photo of a herself and friends from several Spanish cities taken while they were touring Toledo in March. Then were all wearing jeans with white tennis shoes!! I am still in a quandary as to what shoes are really necessary for June and July!!

#34953 - 05/04/02 05:41 PM Re: traveling light
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Sel,I was in Madrid, Segovia, small towns touring castles, out to a beach town in Cantabria, and hanging out at football(soccer) fields june and July last year. I had black Mephisto sandals that I wore constantly, white & tan LEATHER sneakers, little, dressier black sandals for night and some fun flipflop sort of things for the beach that I bought in Spain.I was very happy with what I had and felt I looked "normal".

#34954 - 05/05/02 01:28 PM Re: traveling light
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the feedback. It is funny that shoes are such a concern. I am taking two kids halfway around the world and worrying about shoes!! Getting my 17 year old daughter to pack lightly is quite comical. Her little brother only needs his day pack and is offering to sell her space in his bag!!

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments