Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34375 - 08/22/00 08:09 PM Credit Cards
Jaime Offline

Hi everyone, I've seen alot of posts on here about using ATM's but what about credit cards? I know they are probably accepted at most hotels and more touristy places but what about the average cafe or tienda? Gracias. jaime

#34376 - 08/23/00 07:20 AM Re: Credit Cards
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi. In the cities you can use them just about anywhere you would normally (assuming you don't normally pay for a beer or a loaf of bread with a CC!). One exception is that some hostales don't take them. Just ask when you check in.

Other than that, most shops and restaurants have the usual bunch of visa/mastercard etc etc etc signs in the window.

However, if you plan to go off the beaten track, into rural areas, it may be a different story.

#34377 - 08/23/00 08:25 AM Re: Credit Cards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think any of the bars or even the bar/eateries like Bar Brillante or Museo del Jamon (maybe the latter, but not positive) can take credit cards, nor will the cafés which don't serve meals, but most of the larger-than-Mom-and-Pop places will. Malls, places with 1,000 check-out lanes, specialty stores will, but none of the food markets (like the fruit markets, meat markets, bread markets, etc.) will. I think any of the places which sell merchandise in large quantities will accept them. At hotels, for sure, but los hostales, youth-hostels, or pensiones, usually not. Gift shops will most often accept credit cards too. The reason why so many business establishments do not accept them is because they have to pay a fee everytime they're used and many small businesses can't afford to take the added expense. Maybe Nuria or Antonio or some of the other Spaniards can add a few more things (or correct some of mine).

All this said, use your credit/debit card whenever possible for all purchases as you'll get THE ABSOLUTE best exchange rate around.

Cha-ching!, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34378 - 08/25/00 04:43 AM Re: Credit Cards
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello everybody,

This is my first posting here, and I just can´t add anything to the posting of MadridMan, because I, being Spanish, couldn´t have done a better description.

Congratulations for the site.

Saludos.

#34379 - 08/25/00 06:15 AM Re: Credit Cards
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Caveat here: MadridMan says use your credit or debit card for all purchases. I thought that was right also until First USA Bank NA took over my Visa Card- they add a 4 percent foreign currency transaction surcharge. That takes all the fun out of it! So now I use my 'no surcharge' ATM card for cash and pay cash for most of my purchases.

Check with your credit card company before you leave. My new Sears MasterCard charges a 1 percent foreign currency transaction surcharge.

MadridMan:
In reference to your post following this one: The foreign currency transaction surcharge doesn't appear as a charge on your CreditCard statement - it will already have been added to the price of each purchase you charged on your card in Spain. You can't see it but it's there. I don't know about Chase cards - call Customer Service and ask them specifically about what percentage they add on for foreign currency transaction charges. You may be one of the lucky ones - but then again you may not.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 08-27-2000).]

#34380 - 08/25/00 06:49 AM Re: Credit Cards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Eddie! Are you serious??! That IS terrible!! I guess the moral to the story is "check with your credit card company's policy on foreign purchases". Hmmm... I've never had that thank goodness. I have used my Chase visa card as well as bank debit/visa card without extra charges... However, I have yet to use the debit card in the ATMs. I'll be testing that when I visit in October. BUT (and as Pee Wee Herman say, "Everyone has a big butt in this world), I suppose you wouldn't know about the extra surcharge UNTIL getting home and seeing your statement. Hmmm...

And francisco, thank so much for your kind words. I invite others to do the same. hehee.. [have a great weekend, everyone!!]

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34381 - 08/26/00 02:41 AM Re: Credit Cards
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
A word of caution if you're planning to visit away from the big cities. As pointed out above, you should not rely on credit cards in the rural areas. Here in Andalucía, society is still very cash-oriented and many places do not accept CCs. Bigger hotels and shops are happy to take them, but the majority of smaller, family establishments (which make up a huge proportion of the business community!)don't want to know.

#34382 - 09/08/00 11:18 AM Re: Credit Cards
mamacita Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hey there,

Just a suggestion with the whole credit card thing. It's probably a good idea to get duplicate cards, or replace an old credit card. Many of my friends could not use their cards because the magnetic strip could not be read by the machine (even after they do the popular scotch tape on the back of the strip deal). And although many of the salespeople could easily just type in the numbers, the vast majority refuse to do so. It sucked. Could you imagine what this would be like in an emergency situation - for instance, if all your cash had been lost or stolen? Better to be prepared. Especially with all those rebajas and gift shopping...

#34383 - 09/24/00 09:23 AM Re: Credit Cards
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Eddie, you're right. I just received my credit card statement and see one of the hostels ("hostales") at which I'm staying charged my CC already. This in itself is fine - I gave them permission. The interesting thing is that my credit card company, Chase, itemized the transaction, charging me the cost of the room in pesetas and showed that, showed the conversion in US Dollars (at the September 11th rate <almost> of 191.1pts to $1), and then showed the FOREIGN TRANSFER FEE amount which was just under 2% of the total amount charged. Not too bad I suppose. Still better than getting that lower "traveller's checks" exchange rate at banks AND THEN getting charged a commission fee on top of that.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 924 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments