Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34266 - 07/18/00 09:37 AM Clothing
Kym Offline

Loc: USA
Can anyone suggest some stores to purchase clothing? I am leaving for Madrid Saturday and I really don't have a thing to wear, except for shorts (which seem to be a big no-no), capris, and the casual short black dress. I would prefer to blend in the crowd a bit.

Also, I love to buy shoes, what are some nice brands of shoes to buy?

With regards,
Kym

#34267 - 07/18/00 11:39 AM Re: Clothing
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi kym! Welcome to the group! While waiting for replies about particular stores where to find interesting clothes, you might want to look through the postings in the "Shopping" forum & "About Spain" forums (if you haven't already, that is. ). Lot's of clothing-related postings there.

I don't recall and particular stores by name other than El Corte Inglés because there are SO many and the prices range greatly!

SUGGESTION: Buy/Wear light, all-cotton, sun-dresses! You'll be glad you did!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34268 - 07/18/00 11:56 AM Re: Clothing
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
if you like buying shoes, go to Sol, there you have an insane amount of shoes to choose from along with clothing stores. in the city of Madrid you just have to walk around everywhere and there is where you stumble onto your treasures. The cheapest and best little shops will not be found in tourist books, they will be found by you! You just have to walk all around and you will find things, but Sol will be my best suggestion, walk down all those little streets around sol, and you will come across alot of stuff.

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#34269 - 07/18/00 01:43 PM Re: Clothing
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Good point, missmadrid98! The best deals aren't found in the city center, but in outskirts of the old center and for the same products.

In fact, I found my pair of Fluchos (brown leather lace-up dress shoes - SO comfortable and SO affordable! Maybe $45US!) in Barrio Lucero which off the Paseo de Extremadura, across the Rio (river) Manzanares. I think they were about 1000 pesetas less than the same Fluchos I saw in one of the shoe stores on the Puerta del Sol.

The boulevard "Paseo de Extremadura" is a major street and is the extention of Calle de Segovia which crosses the river and leaves the old center just south of the Royal Palace and travels west-southwest out of the old city center.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34270 - 07/20/00 11:44 PM Re: Clothing
loida Offline

Loc: Irving, TX 75038
I found some really cool(and very comfortable) high heel leather sandals for about $11(US), and a pareo skirt for $5 at El Rastro.
I went there last Sunday. They sell all kinds of good and not so good stuff. You just have to look. I just wish I had more room in my luggage to get all kinds of treasures I saw at El Rastro!
Have fun in Madrid!

#34271 - 07/21/00 12:33 AM Re: Clothing
Kym Offline

Thanks for the information. I have been writing all the info down and can't wait to get there. Less than 48 hours to departure.

missmadrid, one of my first trips is to San Lorenzo. I have been reading your web-site and I can't wait to see the monastary.

Well I must go, I still have much to do.

#34272 - 07/21/00 07:11 AM Re: Clothing
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Kym, we all hope you'll come back to MadridMan's Message Board upon returning from Spain to give us all your impressions. Remember, We ALL learn from YOUR experiences! Unfortunately (and maybe understandably), it seems we have lots of pre-trip postings on the message board, but very few follow-up post-trip postings. I guess we're quickly forgotten after the trip is finished. ( boo hoo. heehehee)

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-21-2000).]

#34273 - 07/21/00 01:04 PM Re: Clothing
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well Kym I have to tell you I am soooooooooo jealous that you will be in El Escorial in a few days, but also jumping with happines that someone new can enjoy the fruits the this wonderful small town that stole my heart. Can i give you a few suggestions? Stand in front of the monastery for a moment and feel the breezes, watch the kids play soccer, have a cafe con leche at the Miranda Suizo, sit in the the plaza of Jacinto Benavente and watch the people live and walk by, and listen to the church bell that rings every hour! (sigh) k now i'm bummed. Anyways Kym enjoy Spain and run with, embrace it, and i can't wait to hear what you thought of El Escorial when you getback, i will live vicariously through you during your excursion in El Escorial. Enjoy!!!!

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#34274 - 07/25/00 06:33 AM Re: Clothing
Kym Offline

Sitting in Madrid right now, everything is great and wear what you want, with the exception of certain places.

The weather is great, cool, the wind is blowing. The past few days have been really nice for seeing the sights.

Tomorrow we´re off to Pamplona.

I´ll post an update soon. Adios amigos.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments