MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#34072 - 11/17/08 05:26 PM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks! I'm not even sure I can get a turkey ordered in time this late. Then there's the stuffing, all that other CR*P. "They Say" The American Store carries all the stuffing and other items for Thanksgiving but they don't carry turkeys, of course.

Stressed, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34073 - 11/17/08 10:12 PM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Just go to a pollería and order one. It usually just takes a couple of days of advance notice. A lot of places will even deliver it to you.

#34074 - 11/18/08 02:21 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

madridmadridmadrid, thanks for that tip. It had crossed my mind before. That's a good way to GET the turkey. BUT WILL THEY STUFF IT AND COOK IT TOO?!?!?!?! wink

But in all seriousness, IF they can order one for me, I cringe at the thought of preparing it myself. Ugh. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34075 - 11/18/08 09:34 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Today, I stopped into the local chicken shop. "The Chicken Lady", as I call her affectionately, told me she thinks the place where she gets her chicken also has turkeys but she'll ask the details and tell me tomorrow when I pass by. I forgot to ask her if the turkeys come WITH or WITHOUT FEATURES!! YIKES!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

#34076 - 11/18/08 01:11 PM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I have a sage and onion stuffing or a chestnut and cranberry stuffing that I bought back from the UK some time ago ... I've also beheaded many a chicken ... doesn't worry me .. Just got back from the UK .. middle of beautiful Sussex countryside .. Lots of rabbit , hare , pheasant etc being shot for dinner .
Cranberry sauce is sold in Corte Ingles ( I've never actually made it myself ! )
Pumpkin pie etc.. might be a bit of a problem .... not a popular vegetable here ... However I do have a very rich plum pudding ( christmas pudding ) ... Let's chat about this MM if you don't find a commercial venue . Steve

#34077 - 11/18/08 05:23 PM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

steve robinson, El Corte Inglés sells Cranberry sauce? REALLY!?!?!? I'll have to look into that if necessary.

Someone suggested to me that I simply order turkey fillets and over that I could pour the gravy, more-or-less make the mashed potatoes, and couple probably find the (overpriced) stuffing and other typical things at The American Store. That may be the way to go. But HOSTING such a thing at home, STILL, ARGH!!

I'll keep you all posted...

Saludos, MadridMan

#34078 - 11/19/08 08:17 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Cheater - unless you actually stick your hand into a cavity and remove bagged internal organs it simply isnt Thanksgiving... I do suggest however that someone alert the bomberos that you may be cooking just in case... hee hee hee

#34079 - 11/19/08 09:45 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hahahahaaa.... Good one, CascaDuSel. And I agree, but..... well, I ain't stickin' my hand into the nether-regions of no bird!! :p I'd never make a good butcher, I know.

#34080 - 11/19/08 10:41 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
But think of it as a necessary evil for a great American tradition .. Or just try and imagine it's George Bush hahaha .. and get that old bird stuffed and cooked .
But , seriously , it's no hassle MM ... I'll lend a hand of course !
Steve .

#34081 - 11/20/08 06:03 AM Re: Madrid: American Thanksgiving Meals and Ideas
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
sallyanne got it right!
Quote:
Why dont you organise your own thanksgiving dinner party?
My (wife's) aunt on c/Arrieta in Madrid used to roast a Turkey for Christmas, so I'm sure they're available, even if you have to order them in advance.
I'm old enough to remember the days before frozen Turkeys: the smells of Turkey feathers burning as Mom scorched the bird after we did as much as we could to de-feather the bird. The stuffing was bread (or cornbread) with onions (lots of onions) and sausage meat (much as we make it now). We used the neck and other parts for gravy stock. You should be able to find your vegetables at any GreenGrocer's stand. hearts

You can make Thursday a San Pavo to remember! thumbsup

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments