Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33506 - 04/24/07 11:18 AM Madrid: NBA Playoffs! Where to watch?
driven989 Offline

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a place to watch the NBA playoffs LIVE here in Madrid. Are there maybe sports bars in town that stay open late and show the games?

Also I am interested in watching the upcoming Oscar De La Hoya/Floyd Mayweather Jr. boxing match on May 5th. If anyone knows where it would be possible to watch this bout (biggest match in 10 years!), please let me know.

I know these requests are longshots, but hey...

Thanks!

#33507 - 04/24/07 01:17 PM Re: Madrid: NBA Playoffs! Where to watch?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good question! I don't think I've seen or heard of any Sports bars in Madrid apart from billiard-bars but I think that's as close as they get.

NBA games are easier to come by than baseball or American football games in Spanish bars but I doubt there are any which promote the games as "NBA SHOWN HERE!" You might walk into one and catch it by chance or, if they're not already showing a "soccer" game, you could ask them to find the game on satellite. Plus, the bars which DO stay open late are the night club-type bars and not the kind which typically show sports on the TV above the bar. The latter kind of bar usually closes relatively early. Even the Irish Pubs which show a lot of soccer games are usually closed, I think, by 2am.

As for Boxing, welll...... I seriously doubt (nearly 100%) that you'll find this in a bar for the following reasons:

1) this would be a Pay-Per-View game in the USA and probably is the same here in Spain and no bar would pay to televise a game in their bar (unless it was a world championship game, maybe, or a Real Madrid versus Atlético de Madrid match)

2) this match likely starts at, what, 10pm EASTERN USA time which is 4am SPAIN time soooo... nothing would be open anyway

Your best bet for this is to find someone with satellite like Canal+ or Digital+ and offer to A) pay them to pay-per-view the fight and B) ask them if they wouldn't mind if you stayed in their house until (potentially) 5:30am on the sofa and drank all their beer and ate all their potato chips. hehehe.. wink If you find such a person let me know. HEY, *I* could do that!!! But I don't think I want to stay up all night either.

If you happen across a Hooters bar (or similar - for the sports) open until 6am please do let me know! I was fortunate to finally find - with the help of a message board member - last year's Ohio State University Vs. University of Michigan football game at an Irish Pub nowhere near where I live here in Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33508 - 04/25/07 12:51 AM Re: Madrid: NBA Playoffs! Where to watch?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have watched the NBA Allstar game at an Irish pub on c/Principe, between Huertas and Santa Ana (Sorry, don't remember the name).

Also, O'Donnell's on c/Espoz y Mina between Sol and c/ de la Cruz always seems to advertise Amercan sports. In my experience, Irish pubs seem to have very late hours. I can always count on them to be open late when everthing else is closed except the clubs.

#33509 - 05/10/07 07:27 AM Re: Madrid: NBA Playoffs! Where to watch?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Driven, did you find someplace in Madrid to see the Oscar De La Hoya/Floyd Mayweather Jr. boxing match last Saturday night? If so, where? I'm curious.

And have you found places to watch the NBA playoffs? I haven't noticed (although I haven't looked, either) any of them being shown on Canal+ satellite TV.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments