Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3330 - 01/07/02 03:11 PM Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I am looking at taking a ten day trip to Spain in May as I had to cancel my trip last year. I had booked the Hotel Europa in Madrid last May and the price then was around 90pta ($80 Canadian) for a single. I just went to their website and the same room in May is now 103 Euros (about $147 Canadian)!!

Am I reading this correctly (today 1 Euro=$1.43 Cdn) or I am making an error in my translation? Or have they really raised the cost of a single in May by eighty percent? Is this gouging (if I am correct) to be expected with the Euro now in place?

Please tell me that I am wrong with my figures.
Thanks!

Dargus (who will not pay $143 for a room that was only $80 a year ago)

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3331 - 01/07/02 03:43 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't blame you, dargus! eek All the more reason to stay at a hostel , I'd say.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3332 - 01/07/02 03:48 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
dargus Offline

After inquiring with the hotel via email I have just received a response from them (they were extremely prompt and sincere) and they informed me that the rate is only 48 Euros and said they will revise the error of 103 Euros.

Whew! I feel like a fool so please ignore my original post as I don't mean to cause panic in the streets or mislead anybody from booking this hotel. They just need to correct the website error.
Adios from Edmonton!
Dargus

#3333 - 01/24/02 07:14 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Dargus,
I dropped by the Europa to look it over, and I must say that if you want to be in the middle of Sol area you could not want a better location. While I did not stay there, I was curious because of the write up that I read in Rick Steve's "Spain and Portugal" book. I did not get a chance to look at an individual room, but the lobby was very nice and the staff were friendly. I did dine in the restaurant and the service was excellent, the food was adequate. However, be sure that you enjoy being in a bustling environment if you book at the Europa. Because after 7 p.m. the area is jumping with excitement and verve. Nearby you also have a dandy Corte Ingles, which is always handy.
If you have qualms, you may want to investigate the Hostals, but, if you like hotels may I recommend that you look at the
smile
Bancotel Website I stayed at the Hotel Suecia for less than $44.00 per night and it is a 3 star hotel. Wonderful location too.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Booklady wink

#3334 - 01/25/02 07:47 AM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

CORRECT 2002 Room Rates for Hotel Europa :

Individual 48 Euros
Double 60 Euros
Double superior 85 Euros
Triple 85 Euros
Cuadruple 100 Euros
Continental breakfast (per person) 4.5 Euros
Parking 10 Euros
* Taxes (VAT, 7%) not included

WOW! eek I'm REALLY surprised to how CHEAP this hotel is!!! My goodness! Seems to be less expensive a few of the hostels! And you're right, Booklady, it IS in a central, busy location. I'm wondering if there are street views in some of the rooms and what kind of view are the internal rooms - I'm guessing the internal rooms have the typcial "garden-view" of the center patio, but would love to hear from someone who has stayed there.

Saludos, MadridMan
(FYI: The SEARCH function works again! WOO HOO!)

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3335 - 01/25/02 11:49 AM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
sdp Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I agree Hotel Europa is remarkably cheap given it's "niceness" and fabulous location. I ended up staying there when unexpectedly arriving in Madrid late one night in October. It was so nice and only marginally more expensive than the hostal I had stayed in previously that I stayed two more nights when I returned to Madrid a week later. I HIGHLY recommend it!! The staff is very nice and helpful, it's attached to a cafe with decent, though not stellar prices...good for coffee or breakfast though and you CANNOT beat the location in Puerta del Sol.

After re-reading MMs post, I realize I didn't address the view issue. The first room I had was interior and basically had no view (though I arrived quite late and couldn't see outside anyway). The second time I stayed there, I had a room that looked out onto the pedestrian street Hotel Europa is located on. It had a balcony which was very nice, though it did get a little loud at night. It was very cool to step onto the balcony and sort of "watch the world go by." Again, highly recommend them (though brace yourself for a sort of tacky red velvet decor in the upstairs lounge).
Stacey

#3336 - 01/25/02 12:28 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

sdp: Wow! That's a very useful review and "view"!! You were just there last October, eh? How about the decor/quality/cleanliness of the rooms themselves?

And I didn't see on the Hotel Europa website - Do they have elevators?? Also, did they, in fact, have hair dryers in the rooms? (might be an important to some people rolleyes )

Saludos, MadridMan

#3337 - 01/25/02 12:41 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
sdp Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
HI MM and everyone else-
The rooms were modern, reasonably spacious and very clean. Hotel Europa was the closest to an "American" hotel I've stayed in in Spain. There is an elevator, albeit a small one. It fits about two people or one person and some baggage. I believe there were hairdryers, though I can't remember for sure. Water pressure was good and there was plenty of hot water.

There should be no communication problems as the front desk people speak exceptional English with the possible exception of the very late night/overnight person. In fact, I tried addressing them in Spanish, and I think they preferred English...perhaps a reflection on my dismal Spanish!! :-)

Feel free to ask more questions, or shoot me an e-mail if you like. I never tire of talking about Spain...

Stacey

#3338 - 01/25/02 01:05 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks sdp! We really do have wonderful and helpful people on this message board. Thank you all. Wow. Everyday here I see such kindness towards others. <sniff! sniff!> (This is where you all roll your eyes rolleyes )

#3339 - 01/25/02 01:23 PM Re: Hotel Europa (Madrid) Euro Prices
dargus Offline

sdp - you really have me convinced that this could be the place for moi. My only issue at the moment is that the cost to fly to Madrid from Edmonton Canada is a ridiculous Cdn$1400 with taxes on Air Monopoly, er, I mean Air Canada. Last year it was only $1200 so I will wait it out a bit more.

Another major concern of mine (as I have posted on the Madrid and Spain Safety topic ) is the fact that I will be travelling solo and would like advice on safety concerns on returning to the hotel walking alone late at night. I get the impression that the Sol area could be a little dicey, especially for a solo person. I could be wrong, though. I am also a photographer and while I don't intend to carry it around my neck at night, I will have some expensive gear on me for most of the time. Also, do the street facing rooms have double-paned glass (I am a notorious light sleeper and know that Madrid isn't favourable to light sleepers but this may have to be an exception)?

I wasn't prepared for such an active thread on the Hotel Europa. I'm surprised also that it is so cheap and has not really had a bad review yet.
Adios!

Dargus

p.s.
It will be minus 33C in Edmonton tomorrow night so my desire to be in Spain will be in full force over the next while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments