Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33250 - 12/03/06 01:05 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
SRedw Offline

James,

I am not into the flamboyancy of the gay scene either, but there is one bar that I suggest. It's BAR LIQUID on calle Barquillo, 8. I have a friend that works there and I go maybe once a month to see her and watch videos. It's a video bar. Many will try and tell you that the people who go there are stuck up and that's only if you let people bother you. I go there, get my fruit juice, watch the videos and go home.

Also, if you are allergic to cigarette smoke, please forget WHY NOT or many bars in that case. There is no ventilation in the majority of them and you will go home with everything smelling like cigarette smoke. eek Just a heads up.

In any case, you really don't need anyone to show you around. Chueca is very small and you can wander the streets and linger into places yourself.

I stand by what I have said and for me Chueca has some damned good places to eat, but that's all about all that it has to offer in my opinion. If you want to chat more, just let me know.

By the way, in Callao and along Gran Vía are more gay friendly clubs and places, even in Lavapiés. Go figure.

Have a great day,

Shawn

#33251 - 12/04/06 09:25 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
jysuper Offline

Loc: Fairport,NY
Cool

#33252 - 12/06/06 10:59 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
SRedw Offline

James,

You'll see when you get here. It's not bad, but not for everyone.

Shawn

#33253 - 12/13/06 02:00 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Jejejeje ... Seems this has really produced a debate ... Yes , Shawn is right , if you go to Why Not , you'll come out smelling like an ashtray , but that's the case in the majority of bars or small clubs in Madrid . I remeber reading that it would not be unusual to walk into a bank first thing in the morning and see the cashier light up their first cigarette of the day . Smoking ispart of Spanish culture .. and as a non-smoker i've learnt to deal with it . I also agree Liquid's good and have never understood the idea that it's a bit pretentious ... It's loud and fun . Jame's I really hope you have a good time here in Madrid . By the way I've taken both gay and bisexual American guys around Chueca and they can't wait to come back ! Steve .

#33254 - 12/13/06 05:14 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
James,
Thanks for the note youve send me the last time, The barrio called Chueca is expanded more and more not only for the GLBT but mix hetero and gay friendly. As i have said, just wander the city and you will never get lost, ask and be responded. People are open to visitors of the place. Regarding Bars and Music. "WHY NOT" is good and the music. DELIRIOUS,LL BAR,ANGEL SIERRA, BEBOP,DIURNO, MAMA INES, CIRCUS, BAZAR, PUBLIC, GLORIA, STROMBOLI, THE ROOM, LIQUID, POLANA, SUN RISE, COOL BALLROOM area the places for drinks, food, and chill-in-chill out, and a lot more. so take note of this places. Im when you come here in Madrid. Ill definitely show you around.. Its not the first time that i show a friend the area. A friend of mine in States visited and he'll love to come back.and im waiting for a girl (elementary friend) from NY to come on April. so ring me up ok!!!
Neil

#33255 - 12/13/06 11:16 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
SRedw Offline

Neil,

Yes, Chueca has expanded, as far as nightlife, not size, and I do not deny that. If I go, I go just for some restaurants, because not all of them are good there, and then, head home.

For me it's just OK and not much to rant and rave about, but there are many gay men who stay within the gay community and don't venture out of that small neighborhood and that's fine. Even many heterosexuals go to Chueca and enjoy themselves, like Neil says.

As it's been said before, many gays are starting to go to La Latina and these are the ones who are tired of the Chueca scene and want a refreshing change from the ordinary. I think it's great that gay men in Spain are realizing that there's more to nightlife than Chueca. Many go there because they feel they can show affection for each other without being persecuted in public, but I have seen men holding hands along Gran Vía, Calle Princesa, Arguelles, even in Cuatro Caminos and along Calle Bravo Murillo. Things are really changing in Spain and with that change, many gay men, in my opinion, and from what I have observed from the past three years of living in Spain, know that they have choices and are really finding other venues for socializing. clap

STEVE,

I don't understand why people hate LIQUID so, either. It's fun and if you let other people get under your skin with your perception of them, without knowing them at all, then I can see how many people don't want to go to LIQUID. Some nights the music is cheesy, but all in good fun. Drinks have really gone up, so be prepared to pay a lot for one drink. It can get crowded and seem a fire hazard, but when I see the crowd come in, I head for the door and head for the hills.

The smoking issue has really changed Spain now and in many banks, you can no longer light up. It's changing the face of many bars in Spain and it will be interesting to see how it all works out within the next 2 - 3 years.

A great day to all,

Shawn

#33256 - 12/14/06 07:13 AM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
James,
Its really a wider variation now at the moment that Madrid is open for everyone. They even say that "MADRID ABIERTO", its really nice that the people here round madrid, getting it multicultural but setting aside the machistas and others etc. but more people are open minded already.In some areas like i was near the cuatro caminos and bravo murillo, you could see partners have a PDA (Public Display of Affection), some people are looking for another venues and that was really great. This year the MADO (madrid orgullo).crowded people along granvia, plaza espana, cibeles are not only for the GLBT but all walks of life so. its change at that was a big leap. Smoking... hmm i think spain is already left out on smoking, many asian, american countries are already non smokinga and are only desired for any point of place which is good for non smokers like me.
"Respect and be respected!" so again. Bienvenido a Madrid.. clap thumbsup

#33257 - 12/14/06 12:52 PM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
SRedw Offline

Neil,

Thanks for summarizing what I have already said. thumbsup It truly is great to see Madrid being more open and seeing gays getting out of Chueca and expanding their horizions.

Shawn

#33258 - 12/14/06 01:04 PM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
jysuper Offline

Loc: Fairport,NY
Neil and Shawn,

Thanks for your replies. Honestly, I'm looking to 2008 to visit Madrid again. Maybe the last part of 2007. But I'm shooting for the Spring 2008. I would love for you to show me around Neil. I have to attend a soccer match while I'm there. When I was there in 2001, I did a tour of the whole country. I would love to see the rest of Madrid. I have to show you my pictures from 2001.

#33259 - 12/14/06 01:11 PM Re: How is Madrid's gay nightlife? Haven't been on here in years!
SRedw Offline

James,

Glad that I could help. I should be in Madrid by then too. Hope we can meet.

Shawn

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments