Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#3265 - 12/18/01 02:14 PM Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Reading all the posts regarding hostales in Madrid on here, and following the links, the price and standard seems to vary very little.

Which is the best AREA to stay???

I'm visiting with my g/f, we're both 27 and want to be near plenty of bars and restaurants although still be able to sleep at night!
The idea of staying in the historic part of town appeals aswell (should it?).

It's between Hostal Aresol (next to Puerta del Sol) and Hostal Chelo (near the Gran Via and Chueca) at the moment.
Hostal Lopez also looks good but appears to be a little out of the way on the map I'm using (right next to Museo del Prado ) - how far from the nightlife is it here?

I've read that Madrid is very compact, does this mean it's compact enough that wherever you stay you're near to everything?

Of particular importance is that we can stagger back to our Hostal rather than using a Taxi/Public Transport! laugh wink cool :p

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3266 - 12/18/01 06:26 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Hostal Astor on Gran Via and Callao is a great location. It is right in the middle of two very good metro stops (Plaza Espana and Callao). It's also walking distance from the Palacio Real, Fnac, El Corte Ingles, movie theaters, the hottest club in Madrid (Cool), Plaza Mayor, and other really nice locations.

Have fun!!!

roses.

#3267 - 12/18/01 06:59 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
The location of Hostal Aresol is perfect. It's right next to the hostal I stayed at - Hostal Plaza D'ort , which I definitely recommend. I staggered home late every night (most of the time alone) with no trouble.

#3268 - 12/19/01 03:14 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I stayed in the Plaza Santa Ana and it was fabulous. Only a five minute walk from Puerto del Sol and along the way all kinds of tapas bars and fun. Also very near the oldest part of Madrid with the "caves" - found a great place that specialized in mushroom tapas. We never had to take any type of public transportation and felt extremely safe.

#3269 - 12/19/01 06:24 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I highly recommend Hostal Tijcal which is just off Puerta del Sol adjacent to the Plaza Mayor. I have stayed there on a couple of occasions and have also recommended the hostal to friends who enjoyed it very much. You can opt for a private bath and each room has a TV and telephone. It´s almost like staying in a hotel without the cost. Check out their website www.hostaltijcal.com . I don´t like staying in hostals site unseen. This one is beautifully tiled and clean. Of course, the Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, as you have read, are very very close to many great bars and restaurants.

Oh, and the Prado Museum is pretty far from most of the night spots...if you want to "stumble home at night".

Good luck! smile

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Chica ]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3270 - 12/23/01 06:28 AM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Can only concur.Aim for anywhere you like in or around Santa Ana/Huertas and you wont go foar wrong.If youre there for more than one night try the bars of La Latina too only 5 min walk away.

#3271 - 12/23/01 06:43 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Highly recommend Hostal Plaza D'ort . Right next to Plaza Santa Ana, a stroll from la Puerta del Sol. Nice rooms with amenities and friendly service. 24 hour come and go for those dazed madrugadas (Ask if Vicente still works there).

#3272 - 01/04/02 02:49 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
Thanks for all your help guys.
After much deliberation and the sending of many e-mails, several places were full and several haven't replied so I've booked 3 nights in, wait for it
The famous Hostal Lopez !!! laugh wink

#3273 - 01/14/02 02:03 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
Lenin Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
All though you have already booked your stay I thought I'd give my 2cents. I highly recommend Hotel Plaza Mayor . It is one of the most centrally located hotels in Madrid. It's right next to Plaza Mayor, hence the name, and within walking distance to much of central Madrid. It's completely modern and unbelievably inexpensive. The staff rules! Helpful, nice and really added to my whole Madrid experience. I loved getting up in the morning and having coffee and breakfast while watching Madrid wake up on Plaza Mayor. Just writing this make me miss it.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3274 - 01/14/02 04:27 PM Re: Best AREA to stay in Madrid???
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
My husband and I (in our early 50s) liked the Hostal Andorra on the Gran Vía. But I looked at the website for Hostal Residencia TIJCAL --it does look very nice as do many of the others.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments