Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32360 - 05/17/05 04:44 PM Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Gata Lope de Rueda Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi, am desperately looking for the name of this one little place just behind the plaza at Puerta del Sol.

I'll set up the daily routine for you and see if it strikes any cords with anyone...

Everyday during the week, at approximately 1:00pm in the afternoon this place fills up with people who must stand at the counter of this bar/restaurant (there are no bar stools or places to sit), no one seems to be just drinking, its all about these small cod fritters which I think are called bacalaitos; they serve em up as fast as they can fry them; also croquetas are a staple as well. There is a room in the back for those wishing to actually sit and have a full meal, but other than that, you are standing and eating many of these cod fritters and washing them down with small little chatos of their wine...at the end of the rush hour, the place clears out as fast as it fills up, by around 2:00 there is nothing left but the hundreds of tiny little napkins which have been cast on the black and white floor of this very old spanish taverna.

Its on a tiny little sidestreet, on the left if you are approaching it from the plaza, perhaps right behind El Corte Inglés.

Please help me with the name of this great place.

#32361 - 05/17/05 05:35 PM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Is this the place by chance??
[img]http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=n0uWXUXXmKJH4DPDTyssLuRIjbA3bQ5Fv2V5CwrArL6uAU2SoTtY2mOJa6DGFTtcaziEmiUWmGc=[/img]
I can't make out the name though. It's located on the Plaza de Carmen.

Take a look at this location on the map on the http://www.qdq.com/indexfotos.asp site (which they've recently changed, now making it impossible to "insert" exact addresses into these links) and plug in the address Calle de la Salud and the number 11 as the street address number. This is just a "shot in the dark" as there are dozens and dozens of little restaurants around here but these streets. Can you remember if it was on one of these few pedestrian streets or one with traffic?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#32362 - 05/17/05 10:14 PM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I think you mean Casa Labra at calle Tetuan 12. It is between El Corte Ingles music shop and the rear of the Burger King that fronts on Sol, directly across from the basement exit from El Corte Ingles supermarket.

#32363 - 05/17/05 10:44 PM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Per Mongo above:

Casa Labra at Calle Tetuán, 12:
[img]http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=n0uWXUXXmKJH4DPDTyssLuRIjbA3bQ5FD7mGkSUG+7a2FkrJZGy5YKrw8QQ5JDriKX5fqBG4AoA=[/img]

Is that it? Hope so!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#32364 - 05/17/05 11:22 PM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
I know the place for the bacalao well, although not the name and, MM, it's the last photo you have on this page. I just know how to get there...great bacalao...and I don't even like fish! Besides being allergic...but, I eat the fish there...

Sheryl

#32365 - 05/18/05 12:55 AM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Um, at the risk of repeating myself...CASA LABRA!!!

#32366 - 05/18/05 08:50 AM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
and jammed and good ..... wink

#32367 - 05/18/05 11:44 AM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
Gata Lope de Rueda Offline

Loc: Ohio
You guys are good. Yes, its Casa Labra! Thanks so much, my sister in law is on her way to Madrid today on a business trip and it was abosultely crucial that she go with this tidbit of a place tucked away in her business planner for tomorrow afternoon's pre-lunch place.

Thanks, and DQD is wonderful.

Gata

#32368 - 05/18/05 12:52 PM Re: Madrid: Little Fried Cod Fritters Near Plaza d/Carmen
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow! Way to go, Mongo! If only the restaurant would reward you with a free lunch. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments