Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32087 - 02/08/05 12:39 PM Jamon serrano
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
For those of you interested...and I believe that will be all of you...I just came back from Costco and found that they are selling packaged "serrano" imported from Spain.

Sheryl

#32088 - 02/08/05 01:30 PM Re: Jamon serrano
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
That is the best new I have heard all day. What were the prices like? Was it the same packages that Tienda.com sells? smile cool

#32089 - 02/08/05 01:47 PM Re: Jamon serrano
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
DD-

To me the prices seemed reasonable...less than $10 for a package of, roughly, 8 slices. The package was vacumed sealed. I can't compare to tienda.com since I've never bought anything from them.

I will add that I was incredibly surprised (pleasantly) to see the item and was in such a state that I didn't carefully check the package. What I did check, however, was that it was a "product of Spain" and that it said "jamon serrano."

Check it out.

Oh, by the way...this all happened earlier today.

Sheryl

#32090 - 02/08/05 01:53 PM Re: Jamon serrano
sdavidr Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Just curious,

Has anyone pre-ordered the full jamon iberico with bone ?

#32091 - 02/08/05 03:00 PM Re: Jamon serrano
desert dweller Offline

Tienda sells theirs vacum sealed, then for after opneing it has the zip lock package. The slices are paper thin. It runs about $45 per pound through them. If you want I can send you an E mail photo as I have some on hand now. That way you can compare and it is possibly the sme item. At that price I don't share it with anyone walking down the street. How thick are the slices?

I have not ordered the whole ham with the bone. I did have a friend that was coming back through JFK and customs confiscated one on him. "For health reasons." That same customs officer confiscated charizo also, our suspicion is that customs officer ate like a king for a few days at my buddie's expense. rolleyes

#32092 - 02/08/05 03:30 PM Re: Jamon serrano
sdavidr Offline

Loc: Barcelona
only for a few days?? At least for a month! I have a "paletilla iberica" ( smaller and cheaper than jamon , but with the same quality) since christmas and I belive that I can ate it for another month ( and I'm cutting slices every day-> this is the most enjoyable moment!) wink

#32093 - 02/08/05 04:53 PM Re: Jamon serrano
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Keep in mind that the thinner the slices, the more tasteful they are smile It is definitely the way to eat a good jamón serrano.

Fernando

#32094 - 02/09/05 12:43 AM Re: Jamon serrano
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
this might be a silly question (keep in mind im a college student who is clueless in the kitchen rolleyes ), but can somebody please explain to me exactly what, or how jamon serrano becomes what it is? i ate it while i was studying in spain, first hated it, but soon learned to love it, yet it never occurred to me to ask how it was prepared smile
kelly

#32095 - 02/09/05 08:50 AM Re: Jamon serrano
desert dweller Offline

It is dry cured for anywhere from 18 months to 36 months. The longer it is cured the higher the price. Here in the states it is "supposed" to be smoke cured. I can assure you, that in reality anymore, most US ham is not smoke cured. The Spanish dry cured ham comes from a hog that is only grown on the Iberian pennisula. As you know it has a flavor that you will never forget, so even if the dry curing was used here in the US, it would still not have the same flavor.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments