Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#317 - 09/06/00 07:15 PM Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
Hawk Offline

Loc: USA
Which one is better, are they safe? How about the surrounding area? I am traveling in 3 weeks to Madrid, I just don't want to spend my vacation walking around like a shark on the wrong neighborhood. Thanks!

#318 - 09/06/00 08:40 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Hawk! I believe that the Hostal Cervantes is the hostel ABOVE Hostal Gonzalo . Correct? I just used the SEARCH feature above and found several previous postings about them both, especially Hostal Gonzalo.

The area is really quite nice and near some of Madrid's most exclusive/expensive hotels as well as near all the city\'s greatests museums .

So you'll be in Madrid in 3 weeks? Hopefully you'll be there also on Wednesday, October 11th and you can join the group for "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0" at Bar Brillante right near where you'll be staying (next to the Reina Sofía museum ). Have fun!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#319 - 10/17/00 06:15 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
Crann Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Just back from four nights in Madrid at the Hostal Gonzalo. It was a great place to stay, spotlessly clean, comfortable, run by a welcoming family (their son speaks fluent English too) and in an excellent location. Calle de Cervantes is a quiet street but very near Huertas and Plaza de Santa Ana for nightlife and some lovely traditional bars (Casa Alberto was a favourite). It's also in easy walking distance of El Retiro, Atoche Station, the Prado and Reina Sofia.

The whole area felt very safe and friendly.

#320 - 10/18/00 05:50 AM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I've stayed at the Gonzalo and enjoyed it. The area is great.

#321 - 10/22/00 06:44 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
I agree, too, with the Hostal Gonzalo - it is the floor above Hostal Cervantes. I liked Hostal Gonzalo because the manager spoke English (I did not speak much Spanish). Also, it is a family run establishment, which makes it seem safer to me. And also, the rooms are immaculate.

Good location, too! Only several blocks from the Prado, and from the Metro. Very quiet street. And there is a laundromat (if you are going to be there for a while) just up the street one block (on Calle Cervantes).

#322 - 10/22/00 09:11 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I took a walk-through of Hostal Gonzalo and spoke (in Spanish) with the woman of the hostel. She didn't speak any English, but said her son Javier does. Also, the hostel does not yet take reservations (or contact them) by email and they can only be made by telephone or fax.

I was impressed with the brightness, cleanliness of the rooms, and the nice sitting room. I waited as the cleaning lady cleaned one of the rooms for me to see and wow! It was spotless!!

These two hostels are just across the street and slightly down the hill from Hostal Dulcinea , another hostel in which I spent a night and loved it.

The area is great, lots of action in the Huertas and Plaza Santa Ana areas, always people in the street so one feels safe. Calle de Cervantes is a quieter street too.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#323 - 04/26/02 02:40 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
Xacara Offline

Since you folks are acquainted with Hostal Gonzalo, can you tell me if it has a "lift" or if one must walk up several flights of stairs?

#324 - 04/26/02 09:56 PM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Xacara, I'm relatively sure that Hostal Gonzalo does not have an elevator. I didn't see any mention of one on neither their website nor that of Hostal Corbero . Gonzalo is on º3 which is the 4th "American" floor. Corbero is on º1 which is the 2nd "American" floor. If stair are an issue, why not consider Hostal Corbero? They're a reputable hostel too, run by the same family as Hostal Dulcinea . Not sure about Gonzalo's prices right now.. they still list last year's (?) prices in pesetas while Corbero has double rooms for 42€.

HERE you can see the address (Calle de Cervantes, 34) via the QDQ.com site for both Gonzalo and Corbero.

I honestly don't recall if Gonzalo had an elevator, but I don't think it did. Usually I write in my journal if there WAS an elevator and I didn't write anything when I visited this hostel in October 2000.

Wherever you all stay, people, please come back and tell us about it! Thanks! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

#325 - 04/29/02 05:53 AM Re: Cervantes or Gonzalo? (Madrid)
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
MM - my memory is that the Gonzalo does have an elevator, i.e. the building it's in has one, so it serves all the hostales in it. It's a real small old-fashioned thing, but it works.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments