Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31355 - 05/31/04 03:49 AM Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
kimekazee Offline

This may sound like a really foolish question, but I really don't know the answer and so am throwing it out there...if i ask for dishes w/out jamon or w/out seafood, am I going to get wierd looks from people? or is this not a problem? I eat meat, just no pork, so I am not looking for vegetarian places....

Let me know what you think or if you have any tips on places to eat that fit my diet(anything but seafood and pork) in Madrid, Granada, or Barcelona...

Thanks!

#31356 - 05/31/04 04:04 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
No problem at all. Stick to pollo (chicken) and ternera (veal) or vaca (beef) and everyhing will be OK. Many people in Spain don't eat pork or, at least, don't eat it often because it has more cholesterol than other meats.

#31357 - 05/31/04 09:02 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm spanish and I don't like seafood smile

I like to eat seafood from time to time, but it is something I don't enjoy to eat. I prefer a good fish or a good meat steak.

As for the pork: You will miss some of the best spanish recipes, but there is such a variety that you will be able to enjoy the spanish cuisine to its maximum.

Take in mind that there are thousands of moroccians here who can't eat pork, and some jewish tourists from time to time. You won't have any problem at all with the people (noone will think you are crazy, but you will probably have to insist somewhere because some people may think that it has no importance).

Therefore: Ask for a menu in english so you know what you are ordering and ask if you have any doubts.

Fernando

#31358 - 08/03/04 10:48 PM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
teresita Offline

Loc: nashville
casa mingas in Madrid has fantastic chicken - great vibe - cider and salad as well.

#31359 - 08/04/04 05:41 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Tienes razón, teresita. wink Casa Mingo is a wonderful place for roasted chicken and cider. This place is located not far down the hill from the Princípe Pío train/metro station and has a deep, long, interesting history. The place itself is nice too, all wood with HIGH ceilings. The place is very very busy, though, and the prices are good. 3 of us walked out paying a total of 32.60 Euros and had/shared a pitcher of cider/sidra, chicken, ham, salad, bread, and dessert. Good deal and it's a real family place too.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31360 - 08/04/04 09:49 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Following on this topic I'd like to make a comment on the term "sea food".

It has happenned to me that in certain cases sea food means "most things that come from the sea" thus including most fishes and derivatives: rices prepared with fish, clams,....Even an "arroz abanda" can be considered as a sea food derivatives in a strict interpretation.

In general we spaniards have learned seafood as translation for "marisco" that is : clams, octopus, crab,....For me, I don't consider any fish as sea food, which lead to some misunderstandings with friends from other cultures and religions.

Nevertheless, I believe anybody can have a great eating experience sticking to vegetables, chicken,lamb, beef and goat (cabrito al horno).

#31361 - 08/05/04 05:47 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hey! Eveybody is forgetting in Spain we also eat 'conejo' (yes, rabbit!); It's tasty though I'm personally not a huge fan, but I had some in Mojacar (Almeria) last week that was quite good.

Some of the most common dishes that use it include 'conejo con caracoles' (rabbit with snails frown ), or 'conejo con arroz' (with rice laugh ).

#31362 - 08/05/04 11:21 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Not to mention eating HORSE!!!!! My daughter almost died when she discovered caballo on the menu!! laugh

#31363 - 08/06/04 04:28 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about donkey (cecina style), or lamb intestines (zarajos), morcilla (haggish, more or less), pork blood (in solid cubes, stewed), lamb's brain, lamb intestines (stewed, callos), lamb or pork feet, pigs face (roasted), water rat, frogs, ...?

And the mentioned snails... smile

#31364 - 08/07/04 03:24 AM Re: Don't eat pork or seafood-will they think I'm crazy?
super lau Offline

I dated a vegetarian for a year in Spain (although I know you said you aren't one), but here are some places to try in Madrid that serve chicken, beef, and meatless items:

-Gino's (Italian food..pasta, etc.)
-TGIFriday's (granted, very american, but it was my salvation for chicken) in Madrid next to the soccer statium for Real Madrid
-Hard Rock Cafe (again, american, sorry!) in Madrid near Plaza Colon
-Vips (hamburgers, pasta, all sorts of things)
-this chain-bar, which starts with a C, who's name I cannot remember at 3 in the morning (somebody help me out here), but there is always a plastic guy standing on top of a keg with a foaming beer in his hand in front of the bar - anyhow, they have great tapas like potatoes and cheese sticks

Also, I guess it is my experience that when I asked servers to leave out the meat, they usually didn't. I also found that some of the Chinese resteraunts are good and that Mexican resteraunts are great.

Good luck!

PS Is the name of the bar Cruz Campo? Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments