Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#31224 - 08/12/04 03:51 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
That is how I make thewm as well, however, I do not completely "fry" them, I like them soft, so I really sautee them until they are soft, yet cooked, I love it with red pimiento as well. I'm sure many of us have a variation of the tortilla. Maybe we could get some of those ideas on this thread? mmmmmm...
Please pass the alioli.

#31225 - 08/12/04 04:50 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
spanishl Offline

Loc: Madrid
I remember when I was a foreign exchange student in Rockford IL in 1992 when we once got together to cook tipical dishes in a party and I chose to cook "tortilla española" . We were a bunch of students from all over the world and the japaneses where taking lots of picture when I was flipping the tortilla over (which could either turn into a mess or come out successfully). It was pretty funny...

#31226 - 08/12/04 05:59 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I love Tortilla de patata (con cebollas). When I fly to Spain I take a small one to eat in the airport's departure area (because the flights take off pretty late and they don't serve a meal until about 10:00 PM). It drives the people around me 'bananas!' eek

Sunday for brunch I had a Chorizo omelette. The Chorizo was picante and the omelette was great. Next time, I will have it 'open faced' w/peppers and onions and call it a quiche. cool

#31227 - 08/12/04 07:18 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
spanishl Offline

sounds pretty good eddie, I am getting hungry (it is about "comida" time here in Madrid)

I was wondering what the meaning of "Tontos de Abril" was, do you mean April´s fools day?. If that is the case, In Spain is called: "dia de los inocentes" and it is celebrated the 28th of December.

#31228 - 08/12/04 12:33 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I love tortilla espanola. When I was in Spain I ate it everyday. Is it traditional to put a little piece of roasted green pepper on top? It seems like it always had that - or maybe it was just that way in the train station and I ate there a lot. I love that little extra roasted pepper. Every time I've had it here in the states, it's served plain.

Here's another question - When I make it at home, it's always a tiny bit raw inside. I can't seem to cook the inside perfectly without burning it on the outside. Any tips? I'll practice more, I guess...

#31229 - 08/12/04 12:36 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I love tortilla espanola. When I was in Spain I ate it everyday. Is it traditional to put a little piece of roasted green pepper on top? It seems like it always had that - or maybe it was just that way in the train station and I ate there a lot. I love that little extra roasted pepper. Every time I've had it here in the states, it's served plain.

Here's another question - When I make it at home, it's always a tiny bit raw inside. I can't seem to cook the inside perfectly without burning it on the outside. Any tips? I'll practice more, I guess...

#31230 - 08/12/04 03:59 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
ScottyB Offline

Loc: New York
Tortilla Española,(con cebollas) aka,
Tortilla de patatas?
Yes bye far one of the best Spanish past times.
@the beach, Mid day, Hmmmm..
With fresh baked bread. Hmmm...
I'll be there on the 8/21 Yummmy..

Chicagoan try to turn down your heat.& also
flip 2-3 times then let it set for 3-5mins.
I also like my potatoes Not browned But cooked.
Always use some onion. Slice thin..

#31231 - 08/13/04 06:34 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
spanishl Offline

To avoid the tortilla to be burned but at the same time avoid the tortilla for not being well cooked on the inside put kitchen at mid level, but also inclinate the pan a little bit, so the liquid gets in by the sides of the pan.

About the green paper on top, that is how the usually prepare it in bars when you ask for a a) "pulga de tortilla" or a b) "bocadillo de tortilla"

a) Small french stick bread with tortilla
b) French stick bread with tortilla

Adios!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments