Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31214 - 04/03/04 12:55 AM Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
After many attempts to choke down the ubiquitous "Tortilla de Espana", I have found a sure-fire way to eat the darn things politely.

Several weeks before you leave for Spain, you should eat at McDonald's as often as you can. Save up all the little packets of ketchup you can and when you are presented with the dreaded potato and egg concoction, slather it in as much ketchup as you can carry and slide it down. Anything you can't finish can be hidden in one of the small napkins provided and discarded on the floor, which will be filthy anyway.

Tontos de Abril a todos!

#31215 - 04/03/04 01:10 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Is that supposed to be tortilla española, a.k.a. tortilla de patatas? I LOVE THAT STUFF!!! Wow, that's great. I like it alone, cold, warm, in a sandwich, with or without bravas sauce. Mmmmm.. So good. I should be eating some of that Spanish staple in about 24 hours! Can't wait. See you soon, Mongo!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31216 - 04/03/04 01:40 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Come on Madrid Man! Everyone knows that a "Real Spanish ommelette" has tomatoes, green peppers, Pace picante sauce and monterrey jack cheese.

I hope my plane isn't late, I arrive at 2pm on the 16th!

#31217 - 04/03/04 06:37 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hahahahaaha... Mongo. I know you were teasing above, but that which you describe is NOT a "Spanish Ommelette" but rather "Huevos Rancheros" - WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, by the way. :p I'm looking forward to THE REAL THING in Spain. Mmmmm......

Saludos, MadridMan (tick - tock....)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31218 - 04/03/04 02:22 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
NO NO NO MM....that's not Huevos Rancheros. What Mongo described is an American Spanish omelette. Huevos Ranchos is fried eggs,(overeasy or sunnyside up)with picante sauce over them. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Some folks place a fried corn tortilla on the bottom of the plate, pour salsa over it then place the eggs on top then bathe the eggs with additional salsa. Hay...Dios Mio! Tengo que aprovercharlo ahora mismo!!! wink laugh

#31219 - 04/03/04 06:10 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Good one, i almost couldn't believe what i was reading until i got to the last line rolleyes . yuuuuuuummmm laugh
It made me remember my host brother in Granada. He is 4, and HATES tortilla de patatas with a passion. He did just what you described...he would cover the ENTIRE thing in ketchup and eat it that way....no joke smile
Kelly

#31220 - 04/03/04 06:13 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Not a good plan to read this thread in the late afternoon. Now I´m hungry for tortilla española and huevos rancheros! eek

Huevos rancheros in New Mexico (green salsa, of course!) mmmmmmm...... laugh

#31221 - 04/04/04 12:01 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

For the record, I love a good tortilla española and one was actually cooking on the stove as I wrote my post!

#31222 - 04/04/04 02:12 PM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The "pincho" (small serving) I had this morning at Cervecerí San Andrés was good. And then, when we got "home", my ladyfriend made another for later. Mmm.. Mmmm.. Mmmm... :p

Saludos, MadridMan

#31223 - 08/12/04 03:38 AM Re: Tortilla de Espana (Tontos de Abril)
spanishl Offline

Loc: Madrid
I share with you guys the way I cook "la tortilla de patatas" (sorry about my english)

Ingredients for the basic recipe:

8 eggs
1 kg of potatoes
Olive oil (1/4 of a liter)
Salt

Optional:

1/2 big onion

Steps:

1) Wash and cut potatoes in thin slices. Once the olive oil is hot, salt a bit and fry potatoes. Once they are golden fried. Put them in bowl with paper towels to dry up the oil. If you like it with onions, fry onions as well.

2) Beat eggs in a large bowl with a fork and add a little bit of salt. Pour fried potatoes (and onions if that is the case), mixing everything very well.

3) Start heating up the frying pan with just a couple of tablespoon of olive oil, and add potatoes-eggs mixture (and onions, again, if that is the case) Lower the heat to medium-high. Shake frying pan to prevent the tortilla to stick (crucial step!!) When potatoes start to brown, put a plate on top of pan and flip to cook other side, adding another tablespoon of olive oil. Brown on the other side. Can flip several times for a better cooking.

that´s it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments