Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#31071 - 03/07/04 06:46 PM MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
hawntraveller Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
We will be in Madrid in April smile . What is everyone's favorite things and places to eat in Madrid.

#31072 - 03/07/04 08:12 PM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Bocadillo de Calamares (fried squid sandwiches) at El Brillante bar on the Glorieta de Atocha!! Mmmm.. Can't wait. 4-weeks and counting and I'll be eating them there myself. cool

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31073 - 03/08/04 12:45 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The chorizo and morcilla on oven roasted potatoes with salsa at La Zapateria. (c/ Victoria 8)

Any pork products that contain the word "Iberico".

Hey MadridMan, what are your dates? I'll be there 4/16-4/26. Any chance you will drop by The Adriano?

#31074 - 03/08/04 05:32 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm ALSO looking forward to eating those deliciously spicy patatas bravas at the OLD Las Bravas bar on/near the corner of Calle de la Cruz and Calle de Alvarez Gato just south of Puerta del Sol and near Plaza Santa Ana. This tacky, little place (which is ALWAYS PACKED) is one of my favorites. They cook the potatoes right there, the place is tiny, and there's only valuable bar/wall-bar space available. ONLY locals hanging around in this particular place. LOVE IT!

MadridMan's Madrid Dates are laugh on Sunday, April 4th and leaving frown on Sunday, April 18th. You can expect "THE PARTY ANNOUNCEMENT" very very soon smile but looks like you'll be there when it'll take place. I'll finally meet the famous Mongo!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31075 - 03/09/04 12:09 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Um, I'll have to check my calendar wink

#31076 - 03/09/04 09:33 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
Ernesto Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN, N.A.
Hey MadridMan!
I'm still looking for a contemporary Madrid restaurant to take my wife (a chef) and our restaurant manager to in May. We've only got two nights in Madrid before we head down to Denia. First night, I'm taking them to Possada de la Villa, because they both love lamb. So there's my traditional choice. Now I'm looking for the exceptional modern Madrid dining experience, with a stronger emphasis on meat as opposed to fish. Would you look over my tapas hit list as well?

Casa Paco
Casa Antonio
Taberna Los Huevos de Locio
Taberna el Tempranillo
El Abuelo
Lhardy
Las Bravas
La Trucha
Casa Alberto
El Cisne Azul
El Bocaito
Bodegas La Ardosa

We're staying near the Plaza Mayor. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Ernesto

#31077 - 03/10/04 01:51 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
hawntraveller Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, thanks for the tips. We'll have to stay at least a month to try all these places smile laugh

#31078 - 03/10/04 01:38 PM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
Peter San Diego Offline

Loc: San Marcos, near San Diego , C...
Hey, go see Joaquin at the Asquinina Bar Gallego. The address is Plaza Puerta Cerrada, #3

It is this bar just to the left, (if you are walking out of Casa Botin), about 80 yards and across the street. Another reference point is across the street from "Casa Paco", and 1/2 block up the street.

Tell Joaquin that Pedro sent you. He'll treat you like GOLD!! I was just there last week and surprised him on an unplanned business trip.

He is a true gentleman and great food and VERY cold beer!

Have fun!

#31079 - 03/15/04 11:22 PM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Anyone else have feedback about Ernesto's list above? I haven't been to any of them but Las Bravas and they're just a tapas chain and not what I'd consider to be "fine" but it's definitely near the top of my list for cheap-n-good. :p

To El Abuelo I may have been. Where is that? If it's the same one I had a very good 4-hour dinner there. :p

Anyone else? Saludos, MadridMan

#31080 - 03/16/04 12:13 AM Re: MADRID: Can't miss places or things to eat?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

El Abuelo is short for Casa del Abuelo. It's on c/Victoria where it runs into c/ de la Cruz. They specialize in gambas-al ajillo, a la plancha and cocidos. They have their own heavy, sweet red wine from, I believe around Toledo. They refer to it as a "chato". They have a sister place around the corner on Nuñez de Arce with a bigger menu and more space. Neither place serves sit down meals. Great shrimp though! There is a nice picture of El Abuelo in the first few pages of the "Eyewitness Guide Madrid".

Been to Casa Paco, nothing special. Casa Antonio is typically Madrileño. I disgusted my Spanish friends by eating callos there! I've been to Lhardy for the first floor consomme only, a unique experience.

La Trucha has a great tablao de ahumados with caviar, smoked trout and salmon. Also, the one on Nuñez de Arce has the best calamares I have had anywhere. It was cooked just enough to be crunchy but tender inside with a great batter.

The others, maybe I've been to a few, but I rarely look at the sign above the door.

For the bar the Galicians go to for Galician food, try Maceira, c/ de Jesus 7, just off Huertas & Paseo Castellana. You won't hear English and you can't get a coke.

I am a chef also.

Madrid Man-We need to get you up the hill more often!

It's nice to talk about tapas again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments