Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31017 - 02/09/04 07:55 PM Wine Day trips from Madrid
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
OK, my last post of the night. Aside from working my a** off and savoring jamon iberico bellota jabugo I can find, I really want to get to know Spanish wines. So far I love them, especially the Riberas.

I want to take a bunch of day trips on Saturdays to local wine areas. Any suggestions on places or how to go about doing this? I hope the locals can provide some great tips.

Also, I am solo here. This would be a cool way to meet some of you in a fun and educational way. I figure day trips make it easy/safe for all. Anybody game?

I am here for seven more months. Would love to develop a solid expertise.

Cheers, A

#31018 - 02/11/04 12:29 AM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
Ernesto Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN, N.A.
As a restaurateur from the U.S., Spanish wines are a great value and there are some incredible treasures. I recently found this very informative site:

http://www.reservaycata.com/ingles/wineries/news_10511.htm

Up and coming new areas, at least to the N.A. consumers are; Toro, Bierzo, Salamanca, Yecla, Jumilla, Utiel-Requena. Check out the websites of Jorge Ordonez Wines, Eric Solomon Wines, Classical Wines of Spain and Billington Imports. You can see some great Spanish wines on the Red Wines page of my website:

http://www.restaurantzola.com

Best of luck! Ernesto

#31019 - 02/11/04 02:32 PM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
almohada Offline

Ernesto,
A wonderful reply. JUst the seeds I was looking for.It is interesting in that most of my colleagues, all local lovers of their vino, decry what to them has been the incredible increase in wine prices over the past decade--tenfold in their estimation. Geez, I can only imagine what it was like ten years ago, and with a strong $$. Yes, and I like how serious wine customers here often spend less than 10-12 Euros a bottle.

In fact, I bought a 99 Dalmau (highest rated Rioja this year according to Peñin's guide) for a Christmas gift. I paid 39 Euros. Back in Calif, you get $30-35 won't necessarily get you a great bottle. My boss couldn't believe I paid that much for a bottle. However, I couldn't believe I did not need for fork out serious coin!! Bottom line, I know I am in the right place!!

Best, A
P.S. More suggestions, tips, etc. will always be welcomed. smile

#31020 - 02/12/04 03:44 PM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Check out http://www.VinosdeMadrid.es/ . There, you can find a list of bodegas in the Comunidad de Madrid and descriptions of most. This may help you to narrow your choices. Good luck and enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31021 - 02/12/04 04:48 PM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
almohada Offline

MM, Gracias. Will raise a toast to you and Ernesto.

#31022 - 02/13/04 04:02 PM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
Ernesto Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN, N.A.
Just checked out MadridMan's link vinos de Madrid and recognized one of the producers I visited near Madrid in Sept.
Bodega Castejon
Wonderful father and son team. "Seventy Barriquas" is the name of one of their best reds. Nice inexpensive quaffer, it was one of my Spanish wines by the glass.

Salud, Ernesto

#31023 - 02/13/04 05:38 PM Re: Wine Day trips from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I heard that "Seventy Barriquas" is a favorite of "70 Winos in Las Barranquillas". wink heheehe... (bad joke - quite a stretch in names - and probably offensive to someone somewhere - "Las Barranquillas" is a well-known location outside of Madrid city where many drug addicts buy/sell/use their "products")

But seriously folks (bah-dum-dum)... I've received emails over the years asking me this very question. "Where near Madrid can I visit and taste some local wines?" and that link of http://www.VinosdeMadrid.es is my answer to them. UNFORTUNATELY they don't have an English version on the site. Should be quite a nice outing for almohada and others. Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments