Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30826 - 10/10/03 12:48 AM Bread and Water- Questions?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
True or False?-The best bread I ever had in the USA is not as good as the worst bread I have had in Europe. (Small hyperbole!)

Where did you have the best bread?

Sin gas or con gas?

I really like Vichy Catalan, plain or mixed. I once had a Bourbon and soda with it and it was heavenly!

#30827 - 10/10/03 09:38 AM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Bread: True
Best bread: an Artesean panaderia in San Se
Sin gas: with a meal
Con gas: any other time...I like Gaseosa

#30828 - 10/10/03 10:59 AM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Very True!!
Best Bread: A panaderia beneath my host family's piso in Granada!
Always con gas!
laugh

#30829 - 10/10/03 01:13 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Bread: False - there are a lot of great artesan breadmakers in Seattle and San Francisco areas. I have had some truly terrible bread in Spain. Yes, it's true - I don't really care for the bread in Spain! Especially the bocadillo bread - why is it so dry? I've had many bocadillos, in many different places, so it isn't a question of "try a different place".

However - I haven't been anywhere else in Europe besides Spain (and London, if that counts) so I can't say if the worst bread in France or Italy is better than the best bread in the States. I'm guessing: still false.

Water: Always sin gas and room temperature.

#30830 - 10/10/03 03:39 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
To "That-Girl"
Maybe YOUR dry and WITH gas!!
You obviously haven't had bread in Europe and NO London does not count as Europe.
By extention folks, the butter, the milk, the cheese, the meat etc is far superior in Europe. Here in North America, we spread Crisco on our bread and think its great butter, we eat (growth hormone injected) steak that differs little (I would imagine)in taste and texture of an eraser and say mmmmmm.

#30831 - 10/10/03 06:35 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Interesting thread!

The best bread in Spain imo is Galician bread! ¡Que delicioso! I also love Italian, German, French, American, English, Hawaiian, I just love bread! laugh

Con gas!

#30832 - 10/11/03 07:17 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Hi, it is almost pointless to say so, but the bread in Spain generally is not nearly as good as it was in the 1960's. Lasst year I talked aout this with a cousin who is a baker, he says that that is very true, and blames certain agricultural/production changes. Nowadays, I prefer my own bread, when I get around to it, lol, and a wicked close second best is found at the panadería downstairs from my piso - in Spain of course.

#30833 - 10/12/03 10:48 AM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I have had some great bread in many areas of Spain and some very unexciting bread. I hunted in many corners and had trouble finding good bread in Sevilla. While staying with a Sevillan friend at her house in the country, we had some great bread and she confirmed that good bread is hard to find in Sevilla. Not to say that Spain doesn't have some terrific bread. I'm just not a fan of the cottony type. Majorca has a really beautiful unique type of rustic unsalted bread. It is used in their very thick vegetable soup and is to die for.

#30834 - 10/12/03 07:42 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Although I haven't been everywhere in Europe, by far the best bread I have had was just about anywhere in France, bar none (I am a former professional baker). Here it is very uneven. Once in a while I get some really good, fresh bread, but usually it is so-so. I always heard that Spain had the best bakers. In the north (Pais Vasco and north of Barcelona) the food is much influenced by the French, and is much better than anywhere else. Truth is, I don't much care for Spainish food, or wine, especially after dining with friends who live in Bordeaux.

#30835 - 10/12/03 07:43 PM Re: Bread and Water- Questions?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
As for water, what's that? We drink wine with meals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments