Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30535 - 06/22/03 03:21 AM Philadelphia & Spanish Food
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
This message is particularly for Eddie, Karen, El Viajero, Winston, and Diana as I know that you are all Philadelphia-area residents...

When I was still living in Philadelphia, I used to get my Spain fix by shopping at the Italian Market in South Philly.

DiBruno Brothers , apart from specializing in everything Italian, carries jamón serrano, queso manchego, Spanish olive oils and rice for paella. From time to time they would also have chorizo. There was also a butcher a couple of blocks north of DiBrunos on the right hand side that also sold chorizo imported from Spain.

When I was "home" in December, I was delighted to see that the Genuardis in St. Davids carried fresh chorizo, until I saw the price of $8.00 for 6 links. Hmmm frown

I occasionally could find Manchego at the local Acme and Genaurdis...

Happy eating!!
smile smile

#30536 - 06/22/03 09:28 AM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Things are getting better and better around here, foodwise, at least! Manchego and fresh US-made chorizo have been fairly easy to find if you know which supermarkets carry them, as well as the Spanish oil and good rice for paella. Goya brand has quite a bit, and it sells well around here; mostly, I think, because of our growing Mexican population. BJ's has a very good hard chorizo - it disappears fast in our house! A Wegman's supermarket recently opened very close to where I live, and not only does it carry Manchego and fresh chorizo, it also has other Spanish cheeses, as well as jamon serrano and two imported chorizos from La Rioja- one "picante" and the other not. Their olive selection is mouth-watering, and I found chirimoyas last week - weird, because they aren't in season - or maybe they are in another hemisphere! I had never been to a Wegman's before, but it's like dying and going to food-heaven, especially for those of us who like food from other countries! (I also go there for Indian and Thai ingredients, as well as delicious German pickles, similar to the Hengstenberg brand I used to buy in Madrid.)

#30537 - 06/22/03 10:19 AM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I get my Chorizo at a Portuguese grocery around the 4900 block of N. 5th Street. They also have morcilla from time to time. I didn't like the Chorizo from Genuardi's but the same company that packages the chorizo also does Andouille, which I find more like the Spanish chorizo. The Portuguese store also has Bacalao which Genuardi's just has around Chanukah-time (Christmas). laugh

#30538 - 07/08/03 06:30 PM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
juiceg Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE USA
Yeah! finding a good chorizo or spanish delicacy around here would be equivalent to finding good scrapple in downtown Madrid! Chica, I second your remark on DiBruno Bros. for an occasional Spanish cheese/meat product. There is also a location in center city (18th St.)

#30539 - 07/18/03 05:35 PM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I've found the best deal on Manchego at Sam's Club, a local grocery has it for $11.00+ per lb.
same package at Sams is $6.00+per lb.
Has anyone ever heard of Oncala sheep cheese
available in the states?

#30540 - 07/18/03 09:03 PM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It seems to me that Manchego cheese is becoming a little easier to find - even in most major grocery store chains but it WILL COST YOU. Even the smaller, gourmet wines and foods stores charge an arm and a leg but I too saw it at my local SAM'S club but I'm not a member so I couldn't get it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30541 - 07/22/03 10:10 PM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Low and behold WalMart in York PA has Manchego...not exactly the ambiance I prefer to shop in but it works until I get to NYC

#30542 - 07/29/03 12:25 PM Re: Philadelphia & Spanish Food
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I am reluctant to draw attention to a manufacturer and purveyor of really fine Spanish-style food products who is a competitor with one of MadridMan's sponsors.

But having read the posts of so many frustrated and flavor-deprived posters, I feel that I should exercise simple compassion and recommend the folks at www.donajuana.com

I spent years longing for authentic Spanish flavors and textures, until I found these folks in California. They get around the government "reciprocity" restrictions on importing so many Spanish foodstuffs by using Spanish spices and recipes and American meat. Nice folks to do business with. I've never been disappointed--even with the fragile "morcilla de cebolla." Ordering from Baltimore I find that they're too far away for me to order cheeses, but the meat products have always come through beautifully.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments