Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#30244 - 04/08/03 02:52 PM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I know someone who brought back some Cuban cigars in her bags. She said she took the wrappers off and hid them. I was told by some ladies that putting them with tampons is a safe bet you won't get searched. But, not sure on that.

Anyway, she said she heard that you could actually bring some back in, as long as their value was less than $200. Anyone hear of this?

#30245 - 04/08/03 06:46 PM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
Roe Offline

Loc: california
anyone know about jamon if it is in a vacuum seal pouch? I´m taking some when i get on a plane tomorrow to the States. Well, we´ll see how it goes, I tell everyone here what happens.

#30246 - 04/09/03 07:00 AM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
doesn't matter if it's vacuum sealed...still forbidden...gotta have a USDA seal on it. you may still get it past custom if the gods are smiling on you that day...good luck.

#30247 - 04/09/03 07:05 AM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
about the cigars...yes technically if you remove the bands customs can't prove they are cubans...but they're not stupid so why piss off someone that can give you a cavity search...
as to the $200 legal limit it only applies if you've made a legal trip to cuba itself and i believe it's only $100, though maybe that's been changed

#30248 - 04/21/03 09:48 PM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Yes, some people dare to take the risk, some get their jamon through and some don't. I know people that swear wrapping it in duck tape hides the smell....but who knows. Why risk it when there are some usda approved vendors right here in the US, check out La Tienda http://www.tienda.com/ (link at bottom of page) or La Espanola Meats in California at http://www.laespanolameats.com/

#30249 - 04/29/03 12:23 AM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I came through customs in Atlanta, yesterday from Spain, and witnessed the saddest thing.
An elderly Spanish man had all his jamon, chorizo and lomo confiscated from customs...and it was all vacum-packed.

I felt bad for him, but it distracted customs for me and they actually let me take my bocadillo de jamon through.
Never one for lying, I declared I had a "ham sandwich", at which point the customs officer asked to see it. I took the baquette out of my bag and waved it at him. He laughed and gave me a look like he had to take it from me. Well, I must have looked devestated, I said, "Please, NO, I'll eat it right here!" He whispered, "Put it back in your bag and have a nice day!"
Needless to say, I had a great lunch today in the teacher's lounge!!! :p

#30250 - 04/29/03 03:18 PM Re: Don't try to bring ham back to the states
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I gave it a shot and tried to take some vacuumed sealed ham through customs and it went straight to the trash. I know you can get it in the states but I was hoping for some fresh stuff, (I haven´t ordered from the online spanish foods stored in the US, so I dont know how they are). It was only about 10€ worth so it wasn´t so bad, I just felt like testing the waters and making sure. oh well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments