Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#29218 - 05/11/02 11:02 AM Re: ¿Cerveza? Favorite Beer?
minrik Offline

Loc: saginaw texas
Grant G.no more warnings on overdoing the drinking.Overdoing being very subjective(My wife and I just overdid it for 2 weeks!)I wuold think an 18 year old wuold have some drinking experience so just use commom sense and good manners and the Spnish people respond warmly.We wuold order cerveza and take whatever they brought.Really liked bottled San Miguel and noticed the Irish pub had a large selection of draft beer(Belgian,German,Guiness)so yourself!

#29219 - 05/11/02 12:34 PM Re: ¿Cerveza? Favorite Beer?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Grant, you're sure to have such a good time! I apologize for sounding preachy about the drinking issue; it just touched a nerve because during each of my four trips to Spain, I felt SO embarrassed to see groups of American college kids making idiots of themselves. They were often really (inappropriately) loud, sloppy/messy, and full of rude comments about Spanish food/customs/people.

On several occasions I heard drunken groups loudly criticizing Spanish people within earshot of MANY Spaniards, some of whom were bound to understand English. I felt it was incredibly insensitive and rude of the Americans to behave that way, and I imagine they would have been a little more circumspect about "sharing their feelings" if they hadn't been drunk.

Americans have such a bad reputation as travelers in many other countries--for not trying to learn the language, for being loud and rude, for dressing badly (maybe some of us deserve that part--you should see my dad when he travels in his white sneakers, khaki pants, and blue socks), etc. I always try hard to be the "perfect" traveler--friendly, kind, courteous, gentle, etc., and I get really upset to see people whose behavior just perpetuates the stereotypes.

That said, nearly everyone overindulges from time to time, and that may just be part of growing up--or growing up in our culture, where (as you point out) alcohol is certainly a forbidden fruit. My parents were like yours, Grant--if we wanted to drink wine or beer with meals, that was fine.

I guess the bigger part of my preachy advice is this--don't fall into the pattern of hanging out with Americans because it's easier to communicate. Make that initial effort, despite feeling awkward about the language, because you'll see a side of Spain you'll never encounter with crowds of Americans!

And regarding beer, you'll want to ask for a caña, not a cerveza, and probably most of the time you'll have to take whatever is on tap. It's all good. Maybe another difference in drinking styles (pointed out above, too, I think) is that many Americans don't think of getting tapas with each drink--having something to nibble on will keep you a bit more sober! Plus, some of the tapas are SO good and go really well with a glass of beer. Patatas bravas...mmmmm!!!!

#29220 - 05/22/02 11:55 PM Re: ¿Cerveza? Favorite Beer?
metrobilbao Offline

Loc: cincinnati, ohio usa
In no particular order I recommend San Miguel, Voll Damm and Mahau (spelling)? Damm is Malty and sharper and the other two are nice light lagers........ If you find a place with Vermouth de Barril... try it... it is wonderfull with a twist of Lemon!!!!

#29221 - 05/28/02 01:20 PM Re: ¿Cerveza? Favorite Beer?
JoeyR Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA soon L'Estartit on...
Vol Damm is a fantastic Spanish beer and get into wines and cavas while you are visiting the most underrated wine country in the world!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments