MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#29176 - 04/29/02 09:44 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
liz49,
I too enjoy Schweppes limon when in Spain.

Has anybody stateside found a good substitute?

#29177 - 05/04/02 08:55 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
What you want to order is a "mosto". It is non-alcoholic Spanish wine. I think every bar in Spain will have it.

Winston

#29178 - 05/04/02 09:39 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Thank you, WB!!! And my friend who's asking is a Philadelphia native,too!

#29179 - 05/05/02 08:53 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
What is horchata?

#29180 - 05/05/02 10:35 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Guapetona Offline

its a very refreshing drink made from either chufa (tiger nut) or almendra (almond). try it im sure you'll love it!

#29181 - 05/06/02 02:22 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Yep, I think the answer to the original question pretty much comes down to:

-a 'mosto' in the most traditional or regular bars. Mmmm!
-a San Francisco cocktail at the discotheques.
-a refreshing 'horchata' for the most unique Spanish choice.
-an even more refreshing good old 'granizado de limón' (there are many more flavors nowadays) in the 'cafeterías'. Mmmmm!
-a glass of 'sidra'(cider) if you decide you don't mind a little alcohol after all. You can find the homemade kind at certain Basque or 'asturianas' eateries. Mmmmm!
-a little 'gazpacho' if you're not only thirsty but also a little hungry (served with ice cubes). :p
-a 'café con hielo' if you need to wake up after partying the night before.... wink
-a 'clara', which is a mix of beer(make it non-alcoholic) and 'gaseosa'. Mmmm!
-a 'tinto de verano' in the summer, or whenever really. (This is very Spanish). It's a mix of 'gaseosa' and some red wine, it could be just a little little twist in your case laugh .

#29182 - 05/06/02 12:17 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Please be aware that if you're really thirsty mosto may not help you much. It is normally served in a small glass, so you don't get a lot of it, and it's not real cold. You get a little more when you order a "refresco" like Fanta or Schweppes, and it's chilled. You get the most with horchata or granizado de limon.

Diana (who gets very thirsty in Madrid in summer!)

#29183 - 05/06/02 01:23 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fanta soda is made by Coca-Cola (It says so on the labels), and is readily available in some areas of the US. In fact I bought 12 packs of grape & orange Friday afternoon near our summer place here in Milton, Wisconsin. The store that I found having it readily available on the shelves was a Piggly Wiggly.

Since some people were having trouble finding it, they might want to find out where their nearest Pig is... and pig out ... so to speak ... laugh

I find the orange to be real thirst quenching, whether I'm in Spain or the US. (Do I get a kick back from advertising now? smile )

Wolf (Who's searching high and low for Nehi on the shelves, because it's oh so good... smile )

#29184 - 05/06/02 03:28 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I absolutely LOVE Fanta Limón, and have occasionally found similar sodas here in the US at good Italian delicatessens. Don't get fooled by the similar-sounding "Fresca," which is vile!

The thing I would most like in bars is a huge glass of water with a slice of lemon in it (my drink of choice at home!), but I feel strange ordering it plain, "sin gas," when everyone else is drinking something more interesting. I would order a Coke or a Fanta Limón instead. The sidra is nice, but does have alcohol. Many of my Spanish friends, when they weren't drinking (not often, but it's been known to happen!), would just order a Coke.

wink
Tara

#29185 - 05/07/02 06:53 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We got hooked on Fanta Limon and Fanta Naranja and had it almost every meal! (We're not into alcohol). We found Fanta different than US sodas, less sweet, more of a juice taste and more of a bite to it. We've bought Fanta brand soda here in the US but it seems to be a different formula compared to Fanta in Spain and not as good? (Or maybe everything just tastes better with the Spain atmosphere for background?) We'd like to find the real Fanta here in the US--maybe someplace in NYC?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 929 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments