Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#29166 - 04/28/02 04:19 PM Non-alcohol drink
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Is there any somewhat typical not alcohol drink that can be ordered easily a bars? Cranberry and seltzer is my friend's "cocktail" of choice here.Something similar in Spanish?

#29167 - 04/28/02 04:49 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

karenwishart

yes i no what drink in spain is not alcoholic and can be orderd in any tapas bar. the drink is called the sidra asturiana(well to a less extent theres also sidra de galicia).actually the sidra is very popular in tapas bars and can be ordered in any of them.the zest in spain for this drink is at its greatest in the northwest of spain.i personally love this drink no less than wine
and even have it in my basement and in my house.oh and you could also drink with selzter and lemonade or any type of soda.actually thats how it is actually drunk in asturias.i think you will love that drink the sidra asturiana. smile

#29168 - 04/28/02 04:56 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Non-alcoholic beer is very common throughout Spain so you won't have any problem (assuming you like the taste of beer, that is). I don't recall what they're called other than siimply "SIN ALCOL". Most of the bigger beer companies offer this non-alcoholic alternative. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#29169 - 04/28/02 05:48 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
karenwishart Offline

Thanks guys. So, Mike, what is the "base" of sidra asturiana?

#29170 - 04/29/02 04:45 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Miguelito Offline

Sorry, but sidra (cider) has alcohol, not too much, but a little bit, like beer more or less.
A typical non-alcohol drink you can order in bars is mosto (it's grape juice). Usually you can find other juices like tomato, orange, pineapple,.. and even gazpacho in summer or caldo in winter.
A great drink you can order in summer is horchata, although it's not a drink to have with meals, very refreshing drink.

#29171 - 04/29/02 05:39 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You can try Gaseosa. It's like seltzer but with a hint of Lemon/Lime. If you have a Genuardi's (or a Safeway) there in York, PA you can buy something similar: the 'key lime' flavor.

Once last year I was having dinner in el Puerto de Santa Maria and I saw the barman rolling out an empty 'Kaliber' barrel. Kaliber is a sin alcol beer. Curious, I asked if they sold enough of that to have it on draught. His reply: about 50/50. Just order a cerveza 'Sin!'

#29172 - 04/29/02 06:40 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Sidra has no alcohol? laugh Try to drink 3 or 4 bottles and then tell me wink

The sidra is made with apples, and it is a very typical asturian drink.

As for the non-alcohol drink, almost in every bar you may order this drinks: coke (coca-cola), fanta naranja (orange fanta?), fanta limón (lemon fanta?), batido de chocolate (chocolate milk-shake), zumo de piña (pineapple juice), etc

You may also order a San Francisco, which is made with various kinds of juices.

Horchata is GREAT (my God, I want one now...) but it is not usually sold in discos, only in bars, and not at night (as far as I know).

Fernando

#29173 - 04/29/02 06:53 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
karenwishart Offline

Thanks again. It will be a great help to be able to ask in Spanish. Sidra...I remember now reading about the famous Asturian cider and Fernando, you are right, being from Pennsylvania, believe me, I know all about what 3 big glasses of good homemade cider can do! We're rather famous for it too. Right, Eddie?

#29174 - 04/29/02 07:25 AM Re: Non-alcohol drink
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Umm, that's true, cider (sidra) is not exclusive for Asturias, but typical for other places too. Thanks for the tip wink

Fernando

#29175 - 04/29/02 07:32 PM Re: Non-alcohol drink
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
In the category of non-alcholic drinks, I'll cast my vote for Fanta or Schweppes limon (though I certainly imbibe my fair share of cerveza and sidra when I'm in Spain!). I haven't been able to find a US equivalent (despite the fact that I think Coca-Cola markets Fanta!)--everything here is too sweet, whereas "un limon" is very fizzy with a not-too-sweet, almost tart taste to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments