Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28549 - 01/09/02 10:50 AM easy recipe for Roscón de reyes?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I know it is a little late...but, I wanted to make a roscón de reyes with my girls this weekend and we never got a chance to. My recipe from Penelope Casas' amazing cookbook The Foods and Wines of Spain is the recipe I have used in the past, but I would love to find a simpler one...if anyone has a one to share...Gracias. smile

#28550 - 01/09/02 11:09 AM Re: easy recipe for Roscón de reyes?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Seems it would be something difficult to make, but I hope I'm wrong. I had my FIRST over Christmas last in Madrid. In fact, I was HONORED to be asked by my ladyfriend to go to the local neighborhood panadería to get the one they previously ordered to be made. It was one of the BIG ones with dried fruit on top. Mmmmm!! :p SO good! Imagine me, MadridMan, walking through the neighborhood, entering the panadería alone, and picking up the order. I'm sure I was probably the ONLY "tourist" to get one there... maybe EVER (neighborhood is OUTSIDE of the city center -- across the river where NO tourist would care to go -- just residential), and then to walk through the neighborhood carrying the big, square box "home".

And as an FYI, they typically put a kind of figurine or toy inside, usually ceramic, and as I was told, the person who gets the piece with the toy in it has to buy the NEXT YEAR'S Roscón de Reyes (<-- see photo and recipe here). This may well be just a family tradition with those with whom I was staying. UNLUCKILY, I did not find the figurine in my piece, but my ladyfriend's 78 year old mother did. Good for her for being the WINNER. smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28551 - 01/10/02 04:38 AM Re: easy recipe for Roscón de reyes?
Miguelito Offline

You can find a recipe here : http://www.afuegolento.com/recetario/postres/panes_y_bollos/3186

I have looked for receta roscon reyes in google and there were 110 pages, but I have visited only this one as I knew it before for other recipes.
It's very important to use a correct leaven and the wait times.
The agua de azahar gives a lot of taste but I don't know if you will be able to find it.
Good luck

#28552 - 01/10/02 09:24 AM Re: easy recipe for Roscón de reyes?
ChicaGuay Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Hi, MIguelito...as to the Agua de Azahar, that is the "OrangeFlower Water", they sell it here in Miami in the Spanish shops, and it has that distinct smell that you can feel in the Spring in Sevilla, they sell it under Agua de Azahar.

#28553 - 01/10/02 08:26 PM Re: easy recipe for Roscón de reyes?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
We have Mexican grocery stores out the wazoo, but Spanish foods are hard to find.
Since the use of azahar is a gift of the Moors, I tried a Middle Eastern grocery store and there it was!! (all the writing that wasn't in Spanish was in Arabic!)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments