Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28235 - 11/01/01 12:19 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Funny...I'd seen that article a few days back and even forwarded it for fun to my sister...it didn't even dawn on me that you all would get a laugh too! Thanks for thinking of us taravb...

The write-up they did on the terrorist bombing was hilarious: "Terrorists Surprised to Find Selves in Hell". If you want to continue the laughing started by the Don Quixote Restaurant story, read this one.

The Onion is my only source of news. :p

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#28236 - 11/01/01 01:42 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Another very interesting area to visit is The Drudge Report. Like The Onion, some of what is written there has to be considered satirical humor, but it also has some ring of truth to it.
http://www.drudgereport.com/

Wolf

#28237 - 11/01/01 04:58 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
CaliBasco, again you and I seem to have lived parallel lives--late '80s Spanish music listeners, avid Onion readers, Minnesotans....

Glad to have passed on a laugh to you folks--we all need more of those in our lives nowadays.

Saludos,
Tara

#28238 - 11/01/01 06:55 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Jaime Offline

That was just too good! I am so happy we get the Onion in Milwaukee.

#28239 - 11/01/01 11:07 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Taravb and CaliBasco,
Many thanks to you both for introducing me to this wonderful newspaper...the writing reminds me of C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" laugh laugh laugh But the truly best part of this paper is the religion section, wow what grace! The Onion has now become a "must read" for me for news and religious instruction.

Eddie, did you have to remind me about the Faba Beans? HMMMMM! I didn't eat Fabada for a year after I heard Hannibal's recipe! laugh laugh

Booklady

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#28240 - 11/02/01 08:37 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I just read the article and I am in tears!!!
Even in San Diego, CA this happens.
I see it more than ever now that I moonlight at my friend's Spanish restaurant (and to make the article even more poignant is the fact that our restaurant used to be a Mexican place) People still come in asking for mole and tacos.
...And I can't tell you how many times I have to describe what a Spanish tortilla is! The look of horror, and confusion, is classic!, but if I have to hear one more person say "it's like a frittata" I will scream!!! It's a Spanish tortilla,punto!

I do have to say though, that most people that come in, leave with a positive, tasty experience and the teacher in me feels like I am teaching people a little something about my favorite subjects: Spain and food! laugh

#28241 - 11/02/01 09:32 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Of course, it works both ways...back in 1990, I had to explain to my Salamanca pal "Nacho" that his name (short for "Ignacio," I assume) also stands for a corn chip for us norteamericanos! He got a huge kick out of that. Of course, with how Salamanca has grown in these past 11 years, he probably eats in Mexican restaurants all the time now!

Not being a Mexican food fan, I would love to see more "Don Quixote"-type places all over! The pickings in Minneapolis for decent Spanish food are pretty slim. You can eat enchiladas 'till the cows come home, though.

Tara smile

#28242 - 11/02/01 11:26 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
That article was great! Having lived in Scranton for 4 years while going to college, I can see where the humor comes from. This might be a stupid question, but is this a real restaurant there now? If so, it definitely came a few months too late for me (I just graduated), and I may have to journey back to my alma mater!

#28243 - 11/03/01 12:43 AM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Good question...hopefully if we keep chatting about this someone will let us know.If so, do we have a "Scranton Dinner Group" in the making?!?!Don Quixote won't know what hit him!

#28244 - 11/03/01 07:32 PM Re: Funny story on Spanish restaurants--today's "Onion.com" issue
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Why are you all assuming that there really is a Spanish restaurant in Scranton, Pennsylvania? Small details in The Onion are usually fictional. If someone goes to Scranton, please let me know.

Just a few weeks ago, they started dropping off tons of copies of The Onion in my neighborhood (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) complete with local ads. Same content as the website though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments