Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#28042 - 08/29/01 09:15 AM Olive oil
Tia Offline

I read a report (warning) of the olive oil in the newspaper yesterday. According to the authorities they have found carcinogenic substances (hydrocarbon) in the olive oil in Norway, Denmark and Germany. It was found even in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but in smaller quantities. The Danes stopped the selling altogether, but here in Sweden the public health committee recommends the people to avoid using the oliv oil.

I´m not usually that easily frightened, because you can read those cancer warnings every now and then, but this time it seeems to be more serious.

#28043 - 08/29/01 09:23 AM Re: Olive oil
Anonymous
Unregistered

The info that has been supplied in Spain states that those elements are only in a dangerous concentration in some rare types of olive oil called 'Aceite de orujode oliva'. smile

Many of the things we eat, including smoked food, and barbacues have these components. It is the concentration what makes them a risk for health.

This story became popular in Spain a month ago and has widely been discussed.

If you were at Spain at the moment you'd better have been worried about the 'legionella' health problem.

frown

#28044 - 08/29/01 10:53 AM Re: Olive oil
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Moreover, it seems that a single cigarette has 300 times more of these substances than a whole bottle of cheap orujo olive oil...

¡Viva el aceite de oliva!

#28045 - 08/29/01 01:59 PM Re: Olive oil
Tia Offline

That´s exactly what I wanted to hear!!!
Tia laugh (since I don´t smoke I can add a few more drops of the exquisite aceite to my ensalada)

#28046 - 08/30/01 06:03 PM Re: Olive oil
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I read the same story about olive oil made from the skin of the olive can be harmful to ones health. Usually, as they said, these are only found in the cheaper olive oils, but I understand companies could potentially mix this kind in with the standard olive oils.

Mmmm... I haven't used anything BUT olive oil for fried eggs, salads, tortilla patatas, and pastas for about 7 years now. I don't even OWN vegetable oil!! YUM!! :p

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28047 - 08/30/01 08:25 PM Re: Olive oil
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Well MM, I have been eating olive oil for 23 years and you can believe me if I tell you I have a very good health.

Not only for salads, in my house everything is done with olive oil: pasta, rice, meat, fish, french fries, tortilla, ... Let's give a recipe: Toast a slice of french bread. Take a garlic and rub it on the bread. Peal a tomato and do the same. Then put some drops of olive oil (or fill the bread of it if you want) and taste it. Wonderful!

#28048 - 08/30/01 09:50 PM Re: Olive oil
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
OH FERNANDO!! You're KILLING ME!!! This is how I often had breakfast while visiting my ladyfriend in Madrid (AND while she was visiting me here), except for the tomato. I love the barra of bread, toasted, garlic rubbed into it, and sprinkled with olive oil. Mmmmmm.. OH MAN!!!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#28049 - 08/31/01 03:19 AM Re: Olive oil
Anonymous
Unregistered

MM,

I don't think they mix it, it would be like if a reputated cheese maker mixed inferior quality cheese. It would lose its reputation.

There have been important oil originated health ptoblems, but never with olive oil.

But, in any case, if you buy one good make, you can rest sure you are safe. These problems always happen with the non-controlled tiny makes.

Ignacio

#28050 - 08/31/01 01:21 PM Re: Olive oil
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

I'm just so evil... wink

You know what MM? I'm going to make one of those pan with tomato now smile

One more recipe: The same rebanada of bread, rubbed with tomato and sprinkled (that was the verb I was searching for) with olive oil. Then put a slice of ham (jamón serrano)...¡¡¡¡¡BUENÍSIMO!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to stop, someone is going to fall from his chair wink

Fernando

#28051 - 09/02/01 04:11 PM Re: Olive oil
Tia Offline

¡Ay qué rico! That pan is my favourite merienda (without jamón, though). Unfortunately the tomatoes don´t taste the same outside Spain. frown

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments