Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27671 - 05/29/01 03:24 PM Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
In looking through old photos from my first trip to Spain in 1979, I came across a shot of Hosteria del Laurel in Seville (Plaza de los Venerables, 5) ( Another site ). I can still remember the sensation of walking from the sunny street into the cool dark interior and being pleasantly assaulted by the wonderful aromas coming from the kitchen as well as from the many hams, garlic braids and cheeses hanging from the ceiling. I was travelling with my highschool spanish teacher and about 15 fellow students at the time, so we simply had a beverage and moved on. It made such an impression that I took that picture.

(And, I could almost swear that MM was shooting some of his famous Seville video in the same plaza, but I could be wrong - it's been a long time)

Has anyone eaten here in more recent times? (Or, stayed in the hotel, for that matter.) I've found some comments from Fodor's, but that's about it. Comments from boardmembers carry more weight with me, so I'm hoping someone out there can offer an opinion.

Gracias! Pookita

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#27672 - 05/29/01 04:42 PM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You're absolutely correct, Pookita!!! I DO have this plaza and building in my MadridMan's Sevilla Video . This plaza is in Barrio Santa Cruz/La Judería (the old jewish quarter) and we were in Sevilla during Semana Santa 1998. On this particular afternoon, the plaza was FULL of persons sitting at dozens and dozens of little wooden tables and sitting on little wooden stools while eating tapas. All the little girls dressed so cute in their white and pink fluffy dresses. Aaaahh.. Sevilla. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27673 - 05/29/01 04:56 PM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

Aha! So my deja vu was not simply "wish I was there" thinking.

From what I recall, MM, you had done an admirable job of sampling the tapas AND imbibing some vino (for the sake of your viewing audience, of course!)

Hoping others may have comments, too!

#27674 - 05/31/01 08:53 AM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
We go to Sevilla at least a couple of times each year and we always have great tapas in the square at Hosteria del Laurel, Pookita. Then we go round the corner to the bar opposite Hostal Murillo, which was mentioed in another post recently. Very basic bar, but the chicken in beer tapa is brilliant.... then round the next corner is a bar with sawdust on the floors, always packed and where the solomillo wrapped in bacon is to die for....oops, got carried away there - food and drink, my favourite subject!

We ate in the evening in Laurel's dining room a couple of times in the last couple of years. The first time was excellent, with lamb, steaks and fish baked in salt all nicely prepared and tasty and with Faustino V and VII Riojas reasonably priced we enjoyed it enough to go back the next time. I don't know what it was the second time, but it was nowhere near as good.

The last time we ate in a restaurant in Sevilla (I personally think tapas is the way to go in this city, but it depends who you are with and if they prefer the sit down with a tablecloth job, who am I to argue? wink ) we had a very nice meal a few steps from the Laurel. There is a bar next door to it (serving excellent hams and cheeses) and across the little pasageway on the corner is the restaurant, whose name escapes me. It is quite discreet, as you would only know it is a restaurant by the small glass enclosed menu outside. But highly recommended and not expensive.

#27675 - 05/31/01 10:47 AM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

laugh Thank you, Anchovy Front! Your feedback (especially coming from a local) is invaluable. I've added your comments and suggestions to my growing travel log. I could almost taste the solomillo w/bacon...mmmm, mmmm.

I can hardly wait till October!

#27676 - 06/01/01 05:03 PM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

Anchovey Front - maybe you can help identify something else for me, too, please...

I remember eating the most wonderful chicken dish! Could it be the Andalusian Garlic Chicken I've read about? I've never tasted anything else like it since, and am hoping I can relive the experience when I return to Spain this year. It was s-o-o-oo delicious! :p :p I have no idea what restaurant it was, but I do remember roving musicians wandering through the restaurant and singing to everyone. Man! I could eat that chicken every day and be happy with it!

Pookita

#27677 - 06/04/01 11:26 AM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Hmm....don't know about the Andalucian Garlic Chicken, but it does sound delicious!

I was going to get back to you, Pookita anyway, because I mentioned this post to a friend of mine who was with me both times at the Laurel and he told me (I'd forgotten) that he went back at the end of last year, when his wife's sister and husband visited and they all ate there and he thought it was great. As good as the first occasion, so now we reckon it was regular chef's night off the time we weren't impressed!

#27678 - 06/05/01 09:09 AM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

Well, that's all I need to hear! Hosteria del Laurel will be our pick if a sit down dinner is in order.

I just booked a reservation at the Hostal Murillo, so we should be well positioned for all dining related activities.

Thanks again, Anchovy Front! We anticipate arriving in Malaga on Oct 24 and will be in the area thru Oct 30 before heading back to Madrid. Maybe as our trip dates approach we may be able to coordinate a little get together?

Can't wait for October!!! Pookita

#27679 - 06/05/01 09:19 AM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Sounds good, Pookita. I hope your luggage cart at the Murillo doesn't have a tyre blow out on the way from the taxi to the front door...... rolleyes

#27680 - 06/05/01 03:52 PM Re: Hosteria del Laurel (Seville)
Pookita Offline

Yeah, I noticed that uni-cycle cart in the photo on their web page. eek (I guess you are warning me to be prepared to lug my stuff?) One blow-out and the fun is over!! (Getting that cart back w/o a wheel would be the real challege!)

Our roller bags have wheels that survived the worst cobblestones in Italy, so they should be up to the challenge, but...where would a taxi drop us if we told them we are staying at the Murillo? - Plaza Santa Cruz?

Thankful for the "heads up"....

Pookita

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments