Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27453 - 04/23/01 10:55 AM San Isidro in Madrid
jpgrant Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Through happy coincidence I will be in Madrid during this feria. I have been able to find a lot of information regarding the bullfights but little else regarding what will be going on in Madrid during this celebration. Any help, or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#27454 - 04/23/01 12:02 PM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hopefully the madrileños (or others) might be able to enlighten us with details about other, non-bullfight related activities in Madrid during this time. I'm not sure, but While not positive, is there really any kind of festival apart from the monthlong San Isidro bullfighting festival at Las Ventas, Corrida de Toros ?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27455 - 04/23/01 01:56 PM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

San Isidro Follow-Up: I just came across a great description of San Isidro and what all happens by way of entertainment and festivities (and Wow! There's a lot!) on the SPAIN ALIVE site. Looks like FUN!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27456 - 04/23/01 06:09 PM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Don't forget to have some of the world's largest cocido, served free in the Plaza Mayor, yummy!!! I believe sometime during the beginning of the festival, does this still take place?

#27457 - 04/26/01 11:07 AM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

laduque!!! WHAT'S THIS??!?! I think this deserves further exploration. You say they serve FREE cocido in Madrid's Plaza Mayor at the beginning of San Isidro??!!

ANYONE ever heard of this and can give us exact dates/times???? PLEASE!!?? Jeremy, you're IN the Plaza Mayor . Ever heard of this?

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#27458 - 04/26/01 12:20 PM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
When I went to visit my suegros in Madrid in 1997, I missed the cocido by one day...They served it on a Sunday in the Plaza Mayor and many were in there best Castizo finery. I asked my husband before I printed that reply and, as far as he can remember, this was part of the festivities of San Isidro. If they don't serve it up this year, at least in '97 they did....I was also hoping my reply would get a confirmation from current Madrilenos on the board...

#27459 - 04/26/01 06:46 PM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Actually, what they do at San Isidro is raise funds for the charity Aldeas Infantiles. You'll get your cocido madrileño but you're also expected to give some money to help their organization.

#27460 - 05/02/01 07:07 AM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Check out the information about San Isidro at the city council site .

#27461 - 05/05/01 05:50 AM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
jowend Offline

Loc: Denver
Is there a meadow or park where people gather during San Isidro? It seems like I have read that there is an area near the river where everyone goes and there are food vendors and dancing. Has anyone else heard of this?
jowend

#27462 - 05/07/01 03:59 AM Re: San Isidro in Madrid
Miguelito Offline

Yes is typical to go to eat tortilla a la pradera de San Isidro close to Marqués de Vadillo in the morning of the 15th, it's a very familiar environment. Also there is usually a regional dance spectacle in the Pza Mayor in the morning and in the afternoon the same day, also toher nights are concerts in Pza Mayor and in las Vistillas...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments