Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#27290 - 03/22/01 09:56 PM Where to Go in Salamanca?
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Help! I will be in Salamanca next week and I don't know what is a fun (but not scary) place to go for food and to meet people. I will be there for THREE nights, and I don't know anybody. I'm going there to check out some language schools. If I'm lucky maybe I'll be introduced to some of the students, otherwise I'll be wandering around town by myself (like last time). I like to wander, but I like some company sometimes, too.

I have checked all over this site and Eurotrip, and there is very little about Salamanca. I keep hearing it's got a great nightlife, but it's all very non-specific.

Also, here in the USA Spring Break is happening. There's no Spring Break in Spain is there? Classes should all be in session for next week, yes?

I know I've been posting too much to this board in the past few days, but I really need some help!

#27291 - 03/22/01 10:17 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Meson de Cervantes in the Plaza Mayor is my favorite, and it's most definitely not scary (unless you're scared away by cigarette smoke). Order a sangria and a sandwich de queso, and sit near the windows. It's fun.

You can also eat all along the Rua Mayor--there's an Italian place if you're in the mood for that, and lots of Spanish restaurants. For something that feels well-lit and sort of American, you can try Tintin--but it's a bit like being in an American mall.

Basically, you can't go wrong in the Plaza Mayor or walking on the Rua Mayor toward the cathedrals. All those places cater to tourists, but they also have the best atmosphere. I am happy to spend a bit more to be at a terraza in the Plaza Mayor, too--most of the places around the Plaza serve outside when the weather's good.

You can get decent food at the Hotel Las Torres restaurant, to the left of the reloj in the Plaza as well.

Have fun in my favorite city in the entire world! Salamanca is like no place on earth, and I long to be back. We were there two weeks ago, and I miss it already.

#27292 - 03/23/01 11:56 AM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
American Students will definitely be at The Irish Rover, on Rua Antigua. Also Medievo on Gran Vía if you will be there on a Tuesday or WEdnesday as they have 500 ptas. all you can drink specials. Jacko's on Iscar Peyra is a little hole in the wall with litros that lots of students go to to start the night. Down the street is Morgana a disco with Spaniards and tourists. A similar disco is Garamond on Calle Toro, but don't go to those 2 until late night (after 3:30) b/c they will be empty. I share Tara's sentiments on the favorite city in the world bit so enjoy the salmantino nightlife!

#27293 - 03/30/01 04:27 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
Balise Offline

Well, I am here in Salamanca, and unfortunately, I am all by myself. I really love this city, but I´m afraid I don´t fit in. I think my pants aren´t tight enough and overall I´m just not a "cool" looking person (even though I am cool inside!). I see people on the street look me up and down and then make a "whatever" face. Not good. I´m not dressed badly, just not very hip, I guess. I don´t feel comfortable going into any sort of club or bar if I´m not even cool enough to walk around.

Does anyone know where the cinema is? I remember seeing it last time I was here, not far from the Plaza Mayor, but now I can´t find it. Also, any idea where there is a bookstore with English language books? I have three more nights here and I'll be done with novel soon.

-balise

#27294 - 03/30/01 04:33 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Balise!!!!!! HEY HEY HEY!!! You're in Salamanca NOW?! Wonderful. So here's what you do... Feeling lonely? See if the operators of your hostel (or are you in a hotel? I don't recall) has a daughter and ask if she can spare an hour to take you to an inexpensive shop and do a "Pretty Woman" scene of trying stuff on. Why NOT???! And I'm sure those same people can tell you where the cinema is. OR, just go up to an attractive person and ask where the cinema is. Maybe you'll strike up a conversation and get something started and maybe THEY'LL take you to some store for fresh, hip duds.

Give us a report during your next trip to whatever cybercafe. Thanks! There's no time to waste. JUMP in that pool and mix-it-up!! (just don't pee in it.. VERY rude )

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27295 - 03/30/01 04:42 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, Balise--
I'm sorry you're feeling a bit out-of-place--it is hard to fit in at first, I know. The movie theatre is outside the Plaza Mayor--I don't remember which street it is on, but I think if you go out on the street to the left of the clock, then walk two or three blocks, it's on a side street on your right. There is a bar across from it called "Tom Kitty," if you can believe that.

Books--I think there is a bookstore on one of those streets heading out of the plaza--wait, I'll search for my map--I am pretty sure it is on either Toro or Azafranal, heading out of the Plaza Mayor toward Plaza España and the Alamedilla park. Could it be Librería Cervantes? I have a receipt from there in my scrapbook, but it doesn't have the address. Anyway, if you get to Avenida de Mirat, you have gone too far.

If you're just wandering aimlessly, you should head over to the Convento de las Dueñas and San Esteban--both are VERY worth touring--and the nuns at Las Dueñas sell really good cookies.

And Balise--two more things!
First, Spanish people stare...whether you're looking cool, uncool, or anywhere in between. You're alone and clearly a foreigner and that's interesting in and of itself--most of the foreigners around there travel in packs.

And second, if you want to kill some time and make yourself feel a bit more "cool," head over to Zara or Cortefiel and do a bit of shopping. At the very least, you'll probably run into some Americans and you can ask them where to eat...and if they seem friendly, ask where to go out afterward--and see if you get an invitation to join them.

And once you DO go out, have a caña (or be brave and have a tubo or two) and start speaking Spanish. My mother helped me get over my homesickness during my summer in Salamanca by telling me to go have a beer and find a boyfriend. Now since you're only there for three days, the romance thing may be a bit much--but go have a beer and find someone to chat with.

If you end up in Mesón de Cervantes in the Plaza Mayor, you're bound to run into some Americans or other foreign students--ask them what language school they are at, where they like to eat and hang out, etc. Heck, treat them to una jarra de sangría and join them! Just don't get sucked into the discussions of what they miss about home...which seemed to dominate many of my American friends' chatter when I was there. Instead, ask what they like about Salamanca, whether they have met many Spanish friends, etc. I found that the thing that made me love Salamanca was finding some Spanish friends--the Americans were safe and easy to talk with, but I had THEM back at HOME!! That's a tall order for three days--but a good goal for when you enroll in your language program, right?

Good luck!
Tara

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-30-2001).]

#27296 - 03/30/01 08:50 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I second the staring thing. don't take it the wrong way; you never know what people are thinking, especially in a foreign culture. I wore flannel shirts and birkenstocks all the time there and got along just fine, although I definitely envied the beautiful spanish woman. I didn't really bother trying to "fit in," because, well, I am obviously not spanish. I always figure that the most important thing is to feel comfortable. I wouldn't feel comfortable in tight pants, so I don't wear them (my big booty won't fit into those little spanish pants, and I would fall flat on my face trying to walk on the cobblestone streets in the shoes spanish girls wear). That said, go to zara, as taravb said, and pick up a couple of things (it is on calle de toro I think). Just buying something for yourself might give you the little boost you need to feel more confident.

if you are still feeling funny, hang out with other gringos, at clubs like puerto de chus, cum laude, la biblioteca - all late night places, by the way. go get a drink at birdland, and chill out before heading out for a night on the town. I promise you, just relax and you will strike up a conversation with someone before you know it!

#27297 - 03/31/01 04:28 PM Re: Where to Go in Salamanca?
Balise Offline

Thanks for the kind and helpful responses. I found the cinema and the bookstore. I did go to Zara (crazy crowded!) and Cortefiel, where I bought two shirts.

I think I´m going to head back to Madrid tomorrow. For some reason the hostels are all completo for tomorrow night. I may be able to stay a third night at my hostel, but I´d rather head back to Madrid. It´s a bigger city. I hope next time I come to Salamanca it´s for language school, so it will be a more fun experience.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments