Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27158 - 03/14/01 09:08 AM tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
do the Spaniards give tapas only when you are standing at the counter or at the tables too?
and another question is: do they give tapas with any alcohol drink or only with beer?
I think this is a very very nice Spanish custom.

#27159 - 03/14/01 09:28 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Fewer and fewer bars in Spain, I believe, give free tapas with an alcoholic drink. Not really sure if they give a tapa with a glass of wine (or Coke or coffee -- I don't think so) or not, but those which do - give a tapa with a glass of beer. I think this custom only takes place at the standing bar because if you're sitting at a table it's more common to be expected to order food. HOWEVER, I do recall once or twice being given a free tapa with my beer at a terraza (outdoors), but you'll usually/always pay more for the beer if you sit at a table/terraza.

The bars in Madrid where I've experienced this include all the Museo del Jamon, El Brillante, any small neighborhood bar where you stand AT the bar and order only a beer and they'll give you a small saucer of green olives, chorizo (sausages), almonds, patatas bravas, tortilla patata, small serving of paella, or even a sardine on a slice of bread.

Places called "Tapas Bars" are NOT in the business of giving away tapas for free at the bar (at least not in most cases). Their business is to SELL larger portions (raciones) of typical tapas foods like pulpo (octopus), calamares (squid), tortilla patata, or other gooooooodies!

I too think it's a nice custom to give a little freebie with the purchase of your beer. YUM! Some afternoons, I'll stop into 2 or 3 bars over the course of a few hours for a break, and have a nice collection of delicious foods in my stomach with my beer. However, while it's not customery to tip much in Spain, I always do leave a tip. Those guys behind the bar obviously work so hard!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#27160 - 03/14/01 09:40 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Miguelito Offline

It's the same for beer and wine and probably for vermouth, but not with other alcoholics like whiskey..... in some pubs you can get sunflower seeds, pop corns, or things like that with your cubalibre

#27161 - 03/14/01 12:57 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
There is a bar in Malaga with the incredibly original name, Tapas Bar, in the Rosaleda shopping centre, where they give a free drink when you buy the tapa of the day! The price of the tapa depends on the drink, of course and it is all a bit gimmicky but funny!

But you are right about the practice falling away, although many places put olives and very salty peanuts or crisps out gratis to make you drink more!

However I must tell you about one small bar in the shadow of the cathedral in Malaga. I can't remember the name of the bar, but if you are ever in Malaga follow these directions and you will not go wrong .......says he, confidently!

There is a bar opposite the main door of the cathedral called Cheers and yes, it's a sort of replica of the Boston pub. There is actually a full size fibreglass model of Norm sitting in his usual place at the end of the bar and everybody does a double take when they enter!

Anyway, when you leave this bar, turn left as you go out the door and there is an alleyway there. A few metres down it on the right hand side, there is a tiny bar. It has a board outside advertising Ribera del Duero wine at 250 Pts a glass, so we had to try it, didn't we? We stayed for three drinks and the friendly owners gave the two of us free tapas with each drink. These were four pieces of Manchego cheese with the first drink. Next we had a few pieces of pinchito moruno, a type of moorish spiced pork done on skewers and finally a couple of pieces of chorizo, warmed on the plancha! We were planning on touring a few tapas bars, but in the end we only managed a few bits elsewhere, because of the amount of the (delicious) freebies served here!

The bill for two glasses of wonderful wine and three tubos (tall glasses holding a third of a litre) of draught Mahou beer and the free tapas? 950 Pts. This was in October last year, not fifteen years ago and right in the heart of the historic old city. I bet El Boqueron knows the place. Can he help me with the name? Sorry to go on, but with such lovely people, food and drink it left a lasting impression on me. My first port of call, next time I'm in the city!

#27162 - 03/15/01 12:31 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Speaking of tapas...Is it just me, or are the tapas portions in ALL of Granada like the biggest you've ever seen?!!! I couldn't believe it...We were in a bar off the Plaza Nueva, and saw many people with huge bocadillos, when my husband ordered two beers, the bartender asked what type of bocadillo we wanted, we were a bit confused when we got these huge sandwiches, and soon found out that it was customary!!!YUMMMMMMYY! We finally caught on after the second or third bar...

#27163 - 03/15/01 05:00 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
James Offline

Loc: London
I know the bar you mean Anchovy - but can't remember the name. Great tapas, and anywhere in Andalucia serving Mahou rater than Cruzcampo has got to be a find!

#27164 - 03/18/01 09:15 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
As far as I can tell, Granada must be pretty generous with their tapas!! I've NEVER had to pay more than maybe 100 pesetas for my tapas, and many times we get plenty of croquetas, tortilla, or even hamburgers to go around! I guess I'm spoiled being Granada Girl!!

#27165 - 03/19/01 06:55 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Salamanca still has free tapas alive and well. We went practically every week to Restaurante Río Tormes where the tapas included 2 kinds of tortilla, mejillones, ensaladilla rusa, chorizo, calamares, etc. Free with wine, beer, or a clara (the soda La Casera mixed with beer). The owners got to know us and eventually they started giving us a free chupito in addition to all the food!

#27166 - 03/20/01 06:00 AM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
The parts of Andalucia best for "free" tapas (ie. included in the price of an alcoholic drink) are Granada (as mentioned) and Almeria. Almeria is much less visited but for tapas it's brilliant. Many bars have a list of quite substantial tapas and they're all "free" with a drink - YOU choose which you want. This is the standard way to eat in the evening - you order 3 or 4 beers/wines and with the tapas they give you you've had a decent meal! In fact the problem tends to be that if you just want a couple of drinks before going for a "restaurant" meal you'll get the tapas anyway, and you end up half full!

Re. Anchovy's bar in Malaga - I know Cheers but I can't place the other bar, though I know quite a few in that general area. Anyhow, I've noticed that the bars around there have started giving free tapas in last couple of years (roughly). This is one place were the custom is actually spreading!

#27167 - 03/20/01 12:54 PM Re: tapas question (only at counter?/with beer?)
kbl Offline

There's a bar across from the Prado where we were served WHOLE sandwiches as tapas - tasted something like tuna salad? - with beer! Wish I could remember the name (I probably never knew it; it was one of those times when you're tired and just go inside the nearest place without looking at the name)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments