Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#26431 - 12/07/00 05:43 PM Casa Ojeda, Burgos
leuci Offline

An all-around class act. Beautiful dining rooms, excellent service, fabulous food: one of my two favorite restaurants of a 12-night jaunt through Castilla y Leon. No menus--everything a la carte--but in the end about the same price as the (in my opinion) inferior and much more praised (at least in guidebooks) Meson del Cid. There's a more casual dining area and a bar with an exceedingly tempting array of tapas downstairs, and a gourmet shop next door.

I was warmly greeted by a gracious gentleman who made pleasant small talk about the mini-blizzard outside and offered to take my wet coat and umbrella. I was then guided to a well-situated table while told that I could sit anywhere else I liked. (It was 1:45, my usual dining time to beat the crowds without being TOO early.) The waiters were elegant, efficient, and polite without being obsequious. The room was very attractive and "typical" without a hint of tackiness: good linens, flowers, and pottery and implements lining the ledges of the stained-glass windows. The menu has the usual Burgalese offerings, along with items such as partridge and venison.

The crema de verduras was intensely rich and flavorful. The sirloin with bits of jamon iberico in a sherry vinegar essence was generous, top-quality, well presented, and truly rare, as I had requested. But the real showpiece was the house's special dessert, which they justifiably call "nuestro blanco manjar de dioses": ice cream made of fresh Burgos cheese, presented on a thin pastry shell, along with three generous triangles of different cheeses, all on a plate sprinkled with almond slivers. The grace note was a marzipan mouse, with a chocolate-covered body, almond slivers for ears, and white eyes with dots of chocolate in the center. And it tasted as great as it looked. All this, plus a half liter of the house red, for approximately $30.

And when I asked the waiter for a menu to take with me (for those who haven't read my Meson del Cid entry, I'm a journalist), not only did he accept my request without hesitation or comment: He gave me the main and dessert menus neatly enclosed in wrapping paper from the gourmet shop next door. What more is there to say?

#26432 - 12/09/00 08:25 AM Re: Casa Ojeda, Burgos
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Perceptive and well written reviews, Leuci. A pleasure to read. Let's have more of them if you have the opportunities.
Cantabene

#26433 - 12/09/00 11:18 AM Re: Casa Ojeda, Burgos
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree!! More reviews!! But if you please, keep them in the same city category. (like, a subject title of "Restaurants In Burgos" or "Hotels in Burgos" and then others can add their views of their hotel experiences in Burgos in the same thread. Thanks!! Keep them coming!! We all appreciate your details reviews. What great people we have here. I'm always impressed.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#26434 - 12/12/00 01:36 PM Re: Casa Ojeda, Burgos
leuci Offline

You've got it, MM! And thanks, everybody.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments