Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26375 - 11/30/00 03:21 PM Christmas desserts and beer
Michael Offline

unfortunately I only found this site yesterday and I am leaving for Madrid, Toledo, and Seville tomorrow (Friday December 1). Nonetheless, I decided to ask a couple questions in the hope that I might get a couple responses before I leave my computer around noon Friday Eastern time.

Are there any good Christmas pastries, cookies, etc. that will travel easily for me to bring back as presents?

I am a serious beer geek. I have found a few brew pubs and beer bars in Madrid (the names of which are at home in my luggage). But if anyone has any recommendations for pubs it Madrid, Toledo or Seville with a wide selection of Spanish and/or European beer, please let me know. (Yes, I drink wine too.)

Finally, I am traveling alone and have only a limited amount Spanish. (I know some Italian but solamente un poco Espanol.) In case I really feel the need to talk to someone in English, can anyone recommend any pubs that English-speaking expatriates or tourists frequent.

Thanks.

Michael (first time in Madrid)

#26376 - 11/30/00 03:39 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
As far as English speaking places, there is an Irish pub right next to the Cathedral in Sevilla. It opened a few years ago and has become really popular among certain people. Also, you may find lots of English speakers/other tourists at a bar called la Carbonería (found in any guide book) , where they also almost always have pretty good music. In Sevilla you must have the Cruzcampo beer. There's nothing THAT great about it, it's just a pilsner style beer, but it is just so Sevilla.

#26377 - 11/30/00 06:03 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Turron is the christmas candy/dessert. You buy it boxed. There are many kinds, but the best in my opinion is the turron de almendra (aka alicante). The Gijon style is more mushy but people like it. And chocolate too. You can get it at the duty free at the airport, or in any food/specialty shop during christmas season. Some pastery shops have turron de la casa, a homemade kind (as opposed to the massive made stuff); yummmm!

#26378 - 11/30/00 07:25 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
rgf, I think you meant turrón de Jijona (in Alicante), not Gijón (in Asturias). Besides turrón you also have other pastries such as mantecados, polvorones, mazapán, pan de Cádiz and roscón de Reyes (it's eaten on the January 5-6).

About beers, I'm not very fond of them so I couln't tell which one is better but the most important brands are Cruzcampo, San Miguel, Mahou and Águila.

#26379 - 11/30/00 08:52 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Oh, yeah, jijona, somebody put a red face here for me: Well, to make up for it I'll do a beer recommendation: go to the Cerveceria Santa Barbara, plaza Sta. Barbara, for a great beer and a great time! also the cerveceria alemana (santa ana, right??). Another GREAT bottled beer is La Estrella de Galicia (especial or extra). Now pass the nevados and all the other goodies!

#26380 - 11/30/00 09:35 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Michael Offline

Thanks for the tips folks. Regarding the Turron de la casa: Will it be obvious that it is the house variety (like separate on a counter or with a sign) or should I ask?

Oh yeah...In Italy it is common to order by weight as in asking for 100 grams, un cento of something. Is it common in Spain?

#26381 - 11/30/00 10:44 PM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Michael,
The turrón de la casa that I've seen in pastry shops is not boxed. That's how you can tell. (And it's heavenly!!) It's a big slab, and they cut off what you want. Yes, you order by weight in grams. 100 grams would be cien gramos. You'll want at least 200 (doscientos) gramos in a chunk of turrón. If you'd like to see what the boxed variety looks like, check out www.tienda.com Go to products, scroll down the right hand side to turrón, and click. Their prices are about the same as in Spain, too. You'll find the boxed varieties of turrón everywhere in Spain at this time of year. And do buy some mazapán figures, either already boxed or homemade in the pastry shops.
Enjoy!!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 11-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 11-30-2000).]

#26382 - 12/01/00 05:54 AM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
When all else fails, try an Irish Pub. They usually serve at least one local beer as well as Guinness & Harp. There are seven in Madrid and a couple in Sevilla: one is near the Hotel Inglaterra (Flaherty's). I think the other is called Trinity.

Spaniards love the Irish Pub atmosphere.

#26383 - 12/01/00 08:18 AM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I think everything's already been said by this quick off the mark bunch!

I would agree with Eddie, that the Spaniards love Irish pubs. Someone mentioned P. Flaherty in Sevilla http://www.sevillaonline.com/flaherty/index.htm and this happens to be a favourite of mine. It has great music, is really lively, always packed, with the majority of clients being Spanish. There's a good range of beers, although as I drink Spanish beers all year round, I take advantage of the excellent pint of Guinness served here. By the way, I must be an expert on beer too, as I always seem to be sampling the stuff!

A typical night out in Sevilla for me is a slow walk round Barrio de Santa Cruz, grazing as we go in the wonderful tapas bars, then after midnight it's off to Flaherty's, as it is just getting going by then as is another good Irish pub called Madigans, which is just over the bridge in Triana by the roundabout at Plaza de Cuba.

Enjoy your trip, Michael!

#26384 - 12/01/00 09:59 AM Re: Christmas desserts and beer
Michael Offline

Thanks again for the tips. This is a great site. Time to get moving. I'll check again in Spain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments