Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26117 - 10/17/00 03:27 AM The first time! (in Madrid)
es2000 Offline

Hello!
Next month I will go to Madrid and it will be my first time. Thanks to MM and his site I'm even more looking forward to it then I allready did. I would like to get to know the nightlife right a way the Saturday evening I arrive. Of course I have a list of bars, disco's, etc. but who can tell me what's really a good place to go for a girl alone in this big city? Any other tips from (girl-alone)travellers are welcome!

#26118 - 10/17/00 12:27 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
hello fellow girl traveler. I know people have said this on the board before, but I have to say it again. You are so much safer traveling alone in Spain than you would be in the states - especially of violent crimes. Heres the bad stuff -there are chances of being pickpocketed, but that is really the main worry, and can be avoided. You have to be smart, you know. Don't wander around in the middle of the night counting your money. don't carry a purse, it just screams to be stolen, and fanny packs are easily stolen. I always use a pouch that goes around my waist under my clothes(I figure no one is getting their hands down my pants without me knowing about it).

I also wouldn't suggest even making minimal eye contact with guys on the street. It took a few times of having certain parts of my body grabbed in the street to figure out that was why it was happening. One of my friends got thrown up against a car in Salamanca and fondled by a couple of Spanish guys. Fortunately, that was totally atypical of most of our experiences as women out alone (totally different from my US college campus where there was a spot appropriately called "rape alley)."

Typically in Spain, so many people are out so late, that you are safe walking home at 5 a.m.

I think the main thing is to look and be confident. Know that you will probably be fine, but try to be careful too.

I am not the best person to tell you where to go out in Madrid. it has been a couple of years, and the hot spots change. But, you probably won't want to even go out until 11-12 am. The clubs really get going around 3. We used to start a a local "chuperia," have a shot, talk, then wander off to another club to go dancing - all night. We'd go to an "after bar" around 6 am and hang out til 8 when we'd munch on churros on the way home.

Will you be staying in Spain or traveling to other countries?

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 10-17-2000).]

#26119 - 10/17/00 06:18 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
es2000 Offline

Thanks Nicole for your long respond!
I'll stay in Madrid for two weeks in November. Next to getting know the city, do cultural stuff, a language-course and a lot of party-party, I also want to visit Salamanca and Toledo.
I'm going to read the other emails very carefully and who knows I'll pick out the right adresses.

#26120 - 10/17/00 06:37 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, let me know if you want some info on stuff to see in Salamanca. I lived there for a year. Have fun!

#26121 - 10/19/00 12:16 AM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
wacho Offline

Loc: cd obregon sonora mexico
hi there.
I have been reading this posts also and have been getting informed on the hostals a lot.
I will be spending a week in madrid starting on Nov. 9. I have been there before (1995) and spent 20 days knowing all the things this great city has to offer.

If you want send me an e-mail, I can give you pointers or anything. I will be staying in hostal Chelo, I think it is the best one, and one funny thing, I also want to visit Salamanca. I just found that a friend of mine will be there studying her master on arquitechture.

maybe we can rent a car or work something out, I guess that would be cheaper that train or bus.

drop some lines if you are interested.

Eduardo

#26122 - 10/19/00 07:57 AM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Actually, the bus will be MUCH cheaper than a rental car, and get you to Slamanca in under 3 hrs!

#26123 - 10/19/00 11:47 AM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
es2000 Offline

Wacho/Eduardo,
I'll send you an email later to learn all about your Madrid-experiences!
You stay only one week?
I arrive at the 11th and hoping to start a languagecourse at the 13th for a week. I'm not sure yet 'cause they cannot confirm this untill the 7th...
I was planning my daytrip to Salamanca in the second week. But if my course won't start I have plenty of time. We'll see!
Did you hear something about hostal El Pinar? (Metro Chueca), it is the cheapest hostal in the center I could find...

rgf,
I think you're right about taking a bus to Salamanca. It must be the cheapest way. When a bus can take you back in the evening (not tó early!), it will be fine I guess.

Esther

#26124 - 10/20/00 05:00 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Traveling alone is a wonderful exciting experience, I admire these adventurous people for their curiosity and courage specially if they are a woman.
As long as your question there are many districts in Madrid with a worth to see night life (La latina, Lavapies, Chueca..)but many might also prove dangerous. The most famous of them all is Huertas district where the huge amounts of people everywhere, every time will make it almost imposible that anything bad might happen to you. Its center is Plaza de Santa Ana.
The variety of Clubs there is amazing, Flamenco, Salsa&Merenge, tapas, Latin music (Enrique Iglesias, Jenifer Lopez etc..) funky......

Cheers
Andrés Jarabo (Madrid nightlife guide)

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

[This message has been edited by Andrés (edited 10-20-2000).]

#26125 - 10/22/00 12:08 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
es2000 Offline

Well, Andrés, if you are the nightlife guide, I suppose you won't sleep that much.
I can do without some sleep, but with the programm I want to do in Madrid I do party but now and then I think I really need a bed...
And that's what keeping me busy the last five days. I sent a lot of emails to the hostals, people recommended on the messageboard. The cheap hostals (below 5000) where I tried to make a reservation, all replied me nice and kindly that they did not have a single-room left in November.
(Eduardo: When did you made your reservation for Chelo? Last year?)
This morning I received the eleventh reply and I thought: 'Okay, I quit, let's try it another way!'.
So, Andrés, I turn to you, do you have family or friends who are the proud owners of a hostal in Madrid? And do you happend to know if they still have some vacant rooms? Let me know!
Otherwise rent me your bed while I'm not partying and when you are guiding the tourists through the night!

#26126 - 10/23/00 03:59 PM Re: The first time! (in Madrid)
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
This might be useful to you:
http://www.tourspain.es/turespai/sport-acco/ihotmapa.htm

Good luck,
Andrés.

------------------
Taste Madrid with:
http://www.walksofspain.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments