Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#26058 - 10/12/00 12:44 AM Jamon
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
My longing for Serrano Ham is pressing me toward desperate measures. I am considering buying a full shank from www.tienda.com . I love the stuff, but I would take some time to polish off a full shank. My question is quite simple, if I place the shank in the jamonera( I plan to buy one as well) how long can it sit on my counter before it spoils? Admitedly, the thought off mouth watering Spanish ham in place of the Ritz Crakers and Cheese Whiz is an aluring one. Perhaps, MadridMan could do some detective work and find out if other contributors do not know the answer. Maybe covering it with cheese cloth when not in use is sufficient?

Missing Spain,
Shawn

#26059 - 10/12/00 07:14 AM Re: Jamon
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
When I crave jamon serrano, i buy the best aged prosciutto from the gourmet deli (yes, it is Italian, but so of it is damn close). That way i can get a pound of it and not worry about the hanging, 'aging' jamon like they have at bars...

#26060 - 10/12/00 07:27 AM Re: Jamon
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
It's the cutting of the thing that's the big problem. It seems to be something of an art to do it right, cutting the right way, getting the right thickness etc (including cutting back the fat). It keeps better stored somewhere relatively dry (helps avoid mould developing - though that can be cut off). I think if you cut and keep it well (especially protecting the exposed part), it'll last a long time.

#26061 - 10/12/00 12:50 PM Re: Jamon
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
¡good news!

you do not ever have to worry about your jamon serrano spoiling. generally serrano ham can be as old a few years already by the time you get it... it is cured by a saline method, and so there is no mold (or very few) that can grow on it... (similar to any cured food products, like salmon, cod, et cetera...).

but i agree that it's best to cover up with a cloth on the jamonera... it can get dusty if you have a single leg of it for over a year...

the best: pan normal (crispy outside, soft inside), lonchas de jamon, tomate verde, aceite de oliva, sal, y un vaso de tinto... ¡¡un bocadillo de la *$#@ madre!! (i shouldn't talk like that! )

pd> yeah, prosciutto is good, but not as good... and it's true, you do have to slice off mold if you have the jamon in a humid place...

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 10-12-2000).]

#26062 - 10/12/00 01:43 PM Re: Jamon
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I am sold! I am clearing space for my very own jamonera. Thanks everyone! I agree aged parma prosciutto is pretty darn good, but serrano is extraordinary, so while I am waiting for my delivery I'll go to my favorite specialty import deli for a little prosciutto to hold me over.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-12-2000).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments