Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25823 - 08/10/00 10:48 AM nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
All you energetic 20-30 somethings have been dancing it up at the Kapitol and Aqualung while we post 40s wonder, where can we go to dance without feeling like the chaperones?! Suggestions for salsa clubs where post 40s go; good jazz/blues; etc. I haven't been in a disco in madrid since the 70s! rgf

#25824 - 08/10/00 10:55 AM Re: nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi rgf! I did a search in this forum (using the search feature above) and found an archived (postings get archived after 30 days of inactivity) short thread named Need good salsa clubs in Madrid/Barcelona .

Your question is a good one, though. While I really don't know, it's my impression that 40+-ers don't go out to dance at all, but rather just go to the bars like everyone else. Maybe Nuria would know. ??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25825 - 08/10/00 01:10 PM Re: nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Well, I know it has been eleven years since the last time I was there, but I distinctly remember that the age of the crowds at these type of establishments is quite diverse. My father is twenty years older than me, and he would go. There were people from 18 to 70 when I went. One of the wonderful characteristics of Spain is that people of all ages are welcome almost everywhere. When was the last time you saw a two year old welcome at a bar in the states? It's more common than wine in Spain!
I believe this is why there isn't the problem with alcohol there that we experince in the states. I grew up drinking wine,and whatever else was being passed around, alcohol was never some great thing that was held off until adulthood, therefore when I turned 18 in the states, I didn't see what the big deal was, and in actuality, you have to be 21 to drink legally!

#25826 - 08/10/00 01:41 PM Re: nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
No matter how old you are there is a place for dance in Madrid. My favourite place is "El Palacio de Gaviria" in Arenal Street. You would find people from 25-80 (well, maybe not tha old, but almost) "El Balcon de Rosales" is another nice place, I went there after my wedding and it was very succesful because everybody felt comfortable no matter their ages. For salsa I would go to Azucar, I think the street is called Maria Cristina (this will make missmadrid happy), but I am not very sure.
If you go to a disco around 12 - 1 a.m. I don't think you will feel out of place.
Have fun!

#25827 - 08/20/00 12:38 PM Re: nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
PatM Offline

Loc: Maryland
Nuria, what type of dancing at the places you mention? Not interested in salsa or disco, or is that about all that's available? I'm of the over-40 crowd and would really like a place that plays a variety of music (Latin, waltz, swing, foxtrot, etc.). Know any in Madrid or Granada or Sevilla? Thanks.

#25828 - 08/20/00 03:08 PM Re: nightlife for the post 40 crowd!?! (Madrid)
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Nuria, I agree with you. The Palacio is a great place to go and dance. ALthough I saw people of many ages, the majority was a young crowd. Good luck finding more places for the older crowd rgf.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments