Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25781 - 07/31/00 11:04 AM Buying Spanish food in the USA
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hola, amigos!

A friend lent me a copy of Country Living magazine (August 2000) that had a very nice article on paella parties, and some interesting links I thought I'd share.
http://www.paellapans.com sells all kinds of paella pans, even the real big ones that don't fit well in suitcases! But what I really liked were the articles on how to make paella. These people really CARE!
http://www.ethnicgrocer.com has a very nice variety of Spanish food, and the prices seemed good. And they have what I've been searching everywhere for - canned white asparagus! It's not from Spain, but that's all right. I don't have to lug it over in between clothes in the suitcase any more!

I thought I'd visit http://www.tienda.com since I hadn't been there for a while (that's the one Madridman buys from) and found that they still don't have white asparagus, but they do have Spanish coffee beans! It's one of their new products.

Saludos,
Diana

#25782 - 07/31/00 06:54 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Angela Offline

Diana, www.laespanolameats.com has the asparagus you're looking for (and they are from Spain).
They also have chorizo, jamon, queso manchego, morcillas, boquerones en vinagre etc.
Also paella pans and paella rice.
And if you like the thick hot chocolate we like to drink in Spain, you can find it there too.
And for those spaniards like me, that can't live without turron, mazapan and polvorones at xmas time, they have them too.
I've been ordering from them for the past 8 years and never had a problem.
For the wine lovers, you can check out www.classicalwines.com
Angela

#25783 - 07/31/00 09:39 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Diana Offline

Angela, thank you so much! What a great site! They really have a wonderful selection. The pictures made my mouth water. Have you tried their morcilla de arroz? And yes, they have the right asparagus!

I have been able to buy Spanish turron in a local supermarket, but I am always looking for good mazapan. ¡Muchísimas gracias!

#25784 - 08/01/00 04:09 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you don't want to buy the issue, the web site for Country Living actually has all the recipes (garum, eggplant spread, paella, tortilla, flan and white sangria) in full, along with the (sparse) text of the article. The site is www.countryliving.com and the link is right there on the home page - "Paella Party." I assume it will be disappearing as soon as a new issue comes out, but they have a searchable recipe archive at "Cookbook" on the left.

By the way, has anyone made paella at home? Is it a big production or not too difficult? I've made tortilla, and it's not too difficult once you get a hang of turning it over and sliding it back into the pan without dropping it! iSaludos!

[This message has been edited by Brian Goldthorp (edited 08-01-2000).]

#25785 - 08/01/00 04:38 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Brian! I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that MadridMan buys paella mix at his local latino market from time to time. It's relatively cheap, maybe $3.50/box, and comes with rice, spices, and a can which contains seafood (mejillones, calamares, etc.), vegetables, and all the olive oil you'll need. It's suprisingly good, if not just a little bit too oily, and takes about 35 minutes to cook. I always add either salad shrimp and/or crab and/or more mejillones, but then my pan (not a regulation paella pan) overfloweth! I have bought the Goya brand before, but have tried others and they're pretty good too.

Please don't hate me for being lazy. hehehehe.. Actually, I just bought a big hardback book about cooking Spanish foods and I'm anxious to try some of the recipes.

Most cities have latino markets, but ours doesn't advertise so you might have one and not even know it. Look in your yellow pages under "groceries" or "markets". We have 3 here in my city in Ohio, USA and they sell olives (in glass jars and cans - Goya Brand - including those stuffed with anchovies), Goya olive oil, mejillones (mussels-in-the-can), pulpo (squid-in-thecan), coffee, turron, and many other items FROM SPAIN!! They also sell a very good, fresh, domestic "chorizo español" that's suprisingly close to that of Spain - so sayeth my ladyfriend.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-01-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25786 - 08/01/00 10:21 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Diana Offline

Hi, Brian,

I have made paella a few times, and I no longer have to throw it all out like I did after my first attempts, years ago in Spain! Boy, was it inedible! The last ones were MUCH better!

I do think it's quite a bit of a production if you want to do it well - making the broth ahead of time, cooking the seafood separately, etc. It is definitely harder than tortilla. There are shortcuts you can take, like using just water or a cube for broth, and keeping your meat additions limited. I'd suggest finding and following a recipe that seems do-able to you. It's so good, it's worth a try! I'll look around to see if I can find one that seems reasonable. (I've been using different parts of different recipes, and I always end up experimenting.)

Also, I realized while cooking my last paella that if you invite guests over to try it, be aware that you will be in the kitchen for quite a while before serving it. It's not a make-ahead dish, so if you want to be with your guests, be sure you have room for all in your kitchen!

And MadridMan, I have finally found something I cannot agree with you on. Paella in a box!!!! I tried one once, and swore to never make that mistake again! Shame on you!

#25787 - 08/09/00 05:02 AM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

La Espanola Meats in Los Angeles also has an excellent wine selection and is a pleasure to visit in person.

Raj

#25788 - 08/20/00 10:17 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Wendy E Offline

Hey MadridMan, you're not as lazy as I am - when I want paella, I go to an Argentine restaurant in Los Angeles. So good! And I eat the little octupi that adorn the top of the mound.

#25789 - 08/21/00 12:46 AM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Diana, just wanted to let you know that if you are already ordering from Latienda, I have their Summer 2000 catalog, and they do offer white asparagus, on page 5.
They have many wonderful things that bring me back to a happy childhood and a pretty decent young adulthood! Who wouldn't want to be 18 in Madrid!!

#25790 - 08/21/00 07:47 PM Re: Buying Spanish food in the USA
Diana Offline

¡Gracias, Rubia66! I had only checked their website, which I guess isn't the same as their catalog, or, I just didn't look carefully enough! I just got a big suitcase-shipment of white asparagus this summer, so I'm OK for a while. I'll probably be ready for a big order of lots of things by Navidades, though. Thanks for the info!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments