Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#25756 - 09/06/01 04:40 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very fond on NOrthern food. The southern have also some great dishes, but any GAlician, Asturian, Basque, or Castilian will offer you very tasty food.

Like roasted ham, fabada (a stew with beans and sausages and more...), chorizo boiled in cider, partridge, snails, frogs' legs, wonderful fried fish, fish made in casseroles, suckling pig roasted, young lamb cottelettes or leg, steaks, shellfish,..., depending on their homeland specialities.

For roast suckling pig, in Madrid I recommend ANY castilian restaurant (it's a castilian speciality). Just check names containing Segovia (town of the roast suckling pig), asador, or Aranda (a town famous for roasts). With this premises you'll find a lot in Madrid for you to select.

I'll tell you one, not better or worse than the rest, to add a two cent's coin too:
El Segoviano, Ciudad de Barcelona Avenue number 108

#25757 - 09/29/01 04:39 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Marie, for something different try Spanish health food. There is a small store and cafe around the corner from Hostal Lopez . It's northwesterly I think. They serve 3 course healthfood meals for less than $8.oo. I ate there 4 times on my last trip. Have fun.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#25758 - 09/29/01 09:16 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain

#25759 - 09/30/01 04:59 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
La Farfella on c/de Santa Maria in Huertas is the place to try.I never saw people queuing to get into a restaurant at 1.30 am before I went there and me and my wife were the only tourists in there.We ate a 3-course meal with wine , beer and water and it came to about 4000pts for the two of us in perhaps the most atmospheric restaurant in the world.

#25760 - 12/18/01 04:13 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
MadridMan - this has got to be the best thread I have come across on here so far!
I hope you don't mind me putting it back to the top (I'd hate those who only view topics from the last 10 days to miss out!).

I'll be writing many of these places down for my trip to Madrid in January - any more that can be added in the meantime would be much appreciated!

Where can I get the best Calamares in Madrid? (crispy NOT chewy!)

#25761 - 12/19/01 04:22 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
vieve Offline

Loc: Hartford
I know that it's been a while since this topic was discussed, but I'm new and would like to add my absolute favorite in Madrid... Platero... it's on calle Espoz y Mina... right off of Puerta Del Sol... last year it was 1.000 pts for the menu del dia which was incredible (soup or salad, main dish, desert and wine/water/soda). There are always olives and bread on the table and the place is run by a family... mom does the cooking, dad is the ONLY waiter, and the daughter is sometimes around to help... 'dad' will call you cielo and carino and remember you when you come back a year later... so if you don't mind spending a little extra time chatting and eating olives while you wait, it's DEFINATELY worth it!!!

#25762 - 12/20/01 06:38 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
While you may not be looking for food other than Spanish, I can recommend a nice, inexpensive Italian restuarant. Looking for a change of pace last visit, we tried Nabucco at Hortaleza, 108. I came across it in a few travel guides. The pasta was excellent. We had the carbonara and the 4 cheese pasta, both under $10 and incredible. Comes close, even better than some of the dishes I had in Italy. Great pizza too. In fact we will be stopping there again in our next visit this February!

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#25763 - 12/23/01 11:53 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
charlost Offline

Loc: madrid ahora en buenos aires
Ed s, Nabuco is a good restaurant but in my opinion with a similar cost youll find Don Giovanni, close to Real Theather, a great place to enjoy the italian food.

About spanish food, Casa Botin is excelent. the Guiness book said that is the most antique restaurant in the world (1725)the furnace is over 300 years old eek

#25764 - 02/05/03 01:11 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Ok, I have to bump this post back up to the top. I now have a long list of places to eat in Madrid.

THanks!

Julia

#25765 - 02/05/03 01:28 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Marie Offline

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy, Eduardo Rivas
7766 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
jesé luis
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 736 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments