Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#25746 - 07/11/00 05:46 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
pizzi Offline

Loc: Bremen
well dudes, I like your ideas. my personal favourite has always been patatin patatan, even though its probably not estilo espanol I always found prices pretty attractive, you get a meal of chips, bocadillo and a soft drink/beer for something like 750 ptas. there should be several locations and 2 I've been to are at c/goya esquina (corner) dr. esquerdo and the other at c/ibiza and c/menendez pelayo at the east side of the retiro park - just in case you should be visiting that area.... have fun, I myself will be going back in september - for some great 3 years at least :-)
suerte !

#25747 - 09/29/00 08:21 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi group (and Diana)! Consider this thread resurrected! You can be SURE that when I get back from Madrid (or while I'm there: Oct.2-18) I'll add A LOT to this thread and many many others!! Museo del Jamon and El Brillante, here I come!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25748 - 09/30/00 07:28 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid

#25749 - 01/14/01 07:37 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by rgf....]

This is the first of many tidbits I am going to pass along from my WONDERFUL 10 days in Spain in January. On Sevilla street (metro: Sevilla, a 3 minute walk from Sol) is a bar/restaurant called HONTANARES. It's been there forever, and has great churros con chocolate. But the real deal is the menu del dia (daily lunch) for only 1500 ptas, which is cheap. And what a meal!! The food is great, includes a huge carafe of red wine (or beer etc), and home made cakes/ice creams etc for dessert. Typical menus include good fish, meats, salads, etc. We ate there every day and I highly recommend the atmosphere (informal, but cloth tablecloths and halogen lights). It has one of those little neon ticker signs outside so you can't miss it, and Sevilla is a short street. Same side of street as hotel asturias.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25750 - 01/15/01 10:40 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I don't know if it's true today. But some years ago the last resort of the penurious, hungry traveler seeking sustenance was the bocadillo de calamares--which becomes a gourmet item if you can afford a cold copa of fino to go with it.
Cantabene

#25751 - 01/15/01 01:11 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

PLEASE cantabene, you're killing me!! I'm having El Brillante flashbacks and stomach pangs!! ARGH!!!!

#25752 - 01/15/01 02:36 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Madridman:
I can understand your anguish. I suffered similarly for years, until I made a dedicated effort to master the basics of Spanish cooking.

The toughest part was finding the ingredients. Eventually I tracked down reliable sources for chorzio and morcilla. And I practiced a lot using the Penelope Casas books. Her book on paellas was a breakthrough for me. I can now boast of being able to whip up a excellent paella in minutes, thanks to Ms. Casas.

I also bought a small electric deep frier, and started buying good olive oil by the gallon. Finding moderately priced sources of fino was a challenge, but even that can be done.

Now, with some squid always in the freezer, along with some shark meat for bienmesabe, and a bottle of fino and good olives always in the fridge, I need never suffer those hunger pangs for long.

Go thou and do likewise. :-)
Cantabene

#25753 - 08/03/01 07:08 AM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Guida Offline

Loc: Portugal
Thank you for the recommendations on this thread! I went to Diamantino and was great... I didn't have any trouble finding it because they were handing out leaflets outside some museums. But if I hadn't read about it here, I probably would have thought it too good to be true and wouldn't have gone there!
Thanks all!

Guida smile

#25754 - 09/05/01 09:15 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola,
I'll be in Madrid for Noche Buena, what restaurant would you all recommend ? Particularly those serving roast suckling pig. A friend recomended Casa Botin in Cuchilleros.
Gracias wink

#25755 - 09/05/01 09:42 PM Re: Cheap Eats - Please help! (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
Anne Marie, seanmiles800, MikeRod1, Eustathius, Gypsy
7767 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 751 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments