Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25722 - 06/29/00 04:48 PM Cafe con Leche
Marcita Offline

Loc: Babson PArk, MA, USA
I'd like to get some coffee beans from Spain. Can't find them in the Boston area. Any suggestions?

#25723 - 06/29/00 04:58 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Marcita! Welcome to the group!

Were you looking ONLY for the coffee beans and not the ground coffee? I too would think that finding just the beans would be difficult as I believe that even the beans are from places like Columbia and other countries in Latin America and then "manufactured" into coffee grounds in Spain. This might be why you can't find any in Boston that are from Spain. I could be totally wrong about this. I know that you can find Spanish coffee in most latino markets or grocery stores, but I'm somewhat sure the beans themselves are from Columbia.

Spaniards? What do you have to say?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25724 - 07/01/00 12:48 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
hi,

i think that there is some coffee grown in the islas canarias, but probably not a significant amount. las canarias serves as an "exotic" agriculture area for spain (like some areas of valencia)... for instance, tobacco for the european and spanish version of camel and marlboro (as well as fortuna, caballeros, etc...) cigarettes is grown in canarias...

i wonder how to find spanish coffee beans..? But MadridMan is right, if you are looking for that-taste-of-spain café molido, then you should be able to find it in a local latino market...

please post any findings (in way of spanish coffee beans...)!

thanks

#25725 - 07/01/00 01:07 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Aaaaahh.. Café con leche. I LOVE IT!! In fact, this is the ONLY kind of coffee I drink both in Spain AND at home. Whenever I go to Spain I always bring back bricks and bricks of the Café Molido ("Mitad Natural/Mitad Torrefacto" to be specific on the "style" of coffee I buy). And thank goodness for having friends in Spain who come to the USA often! Poor things! hehehe..

And where else in the world (but Spain) can one sit at a table in a café or on a terraza (patio bar/restaurant) and sip a CHEAP drink, like café con leche, for HOURS and not feel rushed while reading the paper, writing postcards, or just enjoying the scenery?? (okay, maybe it's the same in France/Italy, but not to this extent)

There's certainly something about Café con Leche when you know you're drinking THE DRINK (nearly) most popular in all of Spain? I swear, the unique taste with that steamed cream/milk just TAKES me to Spain for a few moments.

Loving Spain as always, with coffee cup in hand,

MadridMan

P.S. I didn't know that ANY coffee was harvested in the Canary Islands! I learned something today.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-01-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25726 - 07/02/00 10:18 AM Re: Cafe con Leche
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

FYI: It's Sunday morning (okay, late morning. I slept in. ) and I'm enjoying a beautiful morning with the windows open (unfortunately, I'm in the USA and NOT in Madrid), 6-CDs in the magazine and set on "random play", and drinking a piping hot cup of café con leche. Ahhh... during moments like this a part of me is actually IN Spain.

[The CD playing now, one of my ALL-TIME-FAVORITES, is "Cantos de Amor" <"Love Songs"> from the Gipsy Kings. I HIGHLY recommend it!!! It's softer and slower than their other works, but still very very passionate and sweet.]

Time for another cup of café con leche. But you know, mine is not EXACTLY the same as in Spain because here I use skim-milk and doing so in Spain would be sacrilegious!!! Mmmmm.. that thick, whole milk/cream REALLY makes the café con leche... Mmmmm.. I'm in heaven.

Dreaming of Spain, MadridMan

--------------------------------
Listen to Samples of the Gipsy Kings "Cantos de Amor" through MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

#25727 - 07/02/00 01:31 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I, too, bring back the bricks of coffee from Spain. As wonderful as it is to drink the coffee here in the US, it is better when served at a Spanish bar or cafe.

I share your taste in music. My students will tell you that we sing the Gipsy King songs in class: "Sin ella" is our favorite, we even watch it on video. "Mi vida" is another one that goes well with a group of singers. Surprisingly, "Bamboleo" did not go well in class! Maybe because I have the concert live version and it is fast. It is easy for the kids to sing the long drawn out notes in "Sin ella".

My husband purchased the Gipsy King video tape called "Fuego" at a large mall. He found it in a $5 bin!

[This message has been edited by Sofia (edited 07-02-2000).]

#25728 - 07/05/00 08:35 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Cafe con leche in spain, in a cafe, in the morning (heaven)

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#25729 - 07/07/00 06:18 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
MadridMan,

i just wanted to follow up on the coffee crop in the islas canarias...

i don't want to mislead everyone by saying that the islands are a coffee haven or anything, but i do know that a significant amount of carob comes from the islands and coffee (as well as chocolate) are close cousins to this. a family friend of mine is involved with the government support of olive producers in spain, and she has indicated that coffee is grown there, but i do not know much more than this... just so you know... ( i do know that tobacco is grown there )

oh.....!! now i need a cafe con leche...

ps> i wanted to add that if you are looking for a good coffee that is VERY spanish in style and already molido, try "Que Buen!" brand. it is out of mejico, ciudad, and is very very nice! (also great for use in the cafetera/expreso maker) you can find this coffee in many large chain supermarkets (like Albertson's, Vonn's, Bashas (AZ), Fry's(AZ), Kroger, Marsh, etc...)

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 07-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 07-07-2000).]

#25730 - 07/13/00 04:04 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
For the Gypsy Kings fans on the site, they are touring the U.S. this August. www.gipsykings.net had the list of tour dates (yes it is spelled "gipsy"). Que lastima! I will be in Spain while they are passing through my state. I guess I will have to partake in some cafe con leche to cheer me up.

#25731 - 07/26/00 12:20 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
Angela Offline

Madrid Man, if you want to make your cafe con leche taste more like "the real thing" try using Parmalat milk (the one in bricks).
Even the skim milk type will give you a closer flavor.

------------------
Angela

#25732 - 07/26/00 01:41 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Angela, Parmalat milk, eh? Never heard of that. I seriously doubt it can be found in my grocery store. Hmmm.. Maybe the local gourmet foods grocery store. Interesting thought, though. In fact, I'm not at all sure I've ever seen milk sold in the bricks here in the US. I suppose they can be found somewhere. Thanks for the tip! (and yes, I'd be looking for those in skim milk )

Saludos, MadridMan

#25733 - 07/27/00 06:15 AM Re: Cafe con Leche
Angela Offline

Madrid Man, I buy the Parmalat milk at my local supermarket all the time. Try looking next to the canned and dry milk. If you have trouble finding it, try www.netgrocer.com By the way, it comes in whole, 1 o/o, 2 o/o and skim.

#25734 - 07/27/00 12:40 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
Wendy E Offline

Maybe you can try Café Bustelo here in the US, any supermarket in a Latin neighborhood will sell it.

#25735 - 07/27/00 03:59 PM Re: Cafe con Leche
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hi Marcita - I live in Boston and have found the best way to duplicate Spanish coffee is to buy 1/2 French Roast & 1/2 Columbian beans - have htem ground & mised together. Won't work if you use a home grinder - it's not fine enough. This will work only with really good beans - try Pocarre's (spelling) in the North End - corner of Parmenter and Salem. It's good - but not nearly as good as the authentic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments