Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25530 - 07/22/00 11:04 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hola, BBEddie,

Several years back, when I still lived in Madrid, I made Sopa de Cigalas for the big cena de Nochebuena. It was a recipe from the Sunday magazine in the newspaper, and originally came from the restaurant La Cava Real. It was the most exquisite seafood soup I'd ever tasted, and was a great hit with the family. The meat of the cigalas, floating on top of the soup, was heavenly. The recipe was labor intensive, and I haven't made it since, but it sure was memorable.

I admit I get frustrated buying seafood here in the States. I guess I was spoiled in Spain. It's so hard to find fresh fish here, and the variety is so limited. I also wish they'd sell gambas and such with the heads still on, like they do in Spain. That's where all the flavor comes from. The Sopa de Cigalas recipe relied heavily on the heads of the cigalas.

If anyone out there is interested in swapping Spanish recipes, I'm interested. We eat Spanish food all the time at home. Spain is where I learned to cook, and I just love the food. I also think it's super healthy, and usually quite easy to prepare.

#25531 - 07/22/00 11:52 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I ate at Candido's in Segovia a couple
of decades ago-- Candido was welcoming, and I still remember the meal: sopa de cangrejo (crab soup) followed by the cochinillo, lots of red wine... and of course that glass of Brandy. Candido said to me, so you came all the way from Salamanca, huh? And I was so surprised he guessed: but it was the Boton charro (distinctive jewelry) from Salamanca that gave it away. If you love seafood, go to Galicia (Santiago, La Coruna, etc). Every bar is a feast! rgf

#25532 - 07/27/00 06:37 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Segovia Restaurants: Casa Duque versus Candido

My ladyfriend arrived just last night. Between nuzzles, we got to talking about her meeting a friend, another madrileña, in Segovia (who was taking a summer course) for dinner last week.

My ladyfriend made arrangements to meet her friend at the door of Candido. Arriving early, she went to have a glass of wine. The second party came after awhile and they discussed where to eat that night. The woman who was taking the summer course in Segovia said that she didn't want to eat at Candido because she had heard the quality of food was in decline for awhile so they decided to go to Casa Duque (also in Segovia). My ladyfriend had the cochinillo and said it was BY FAR THE BEST she had ever had, in Segovia or anywhere in Spain, this included the former "excellent" years at Candido.

It's a shame that (it seems) Candido's reputation has since exceded it's quality. I guess once you get the "name recognition" reputation you can cut back on quality and still draw the tourists. BUT, this won't last forever.

I can't wait to try Casa Duque!

Saludos, MadridMan

--------------------------------
Love Spanish food? Consider a Penélope Casas cookbook of Spanish cooking on MadridMan's ALL Spain Market

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-27-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25533 - 07/31/00 10:58 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
i have been working in san diego for the past two weeks and had tapas at a bar called sevilla in the gas lamp quarter downtown! almost as good as being there! a home away from home. i had croquettas de pollo, calamari frito, cordero, and albondigas all washed down with san miguel and manzanilla. out of two weeks in san diego, there wasn't a night that i wasn't there. downstairs is a night club that features flamenco, salsa, as well as, disco. about as authentic a place you will find in the lower 48.

#25534 - 08/01/00 10:59 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
miles,

thanks for the great post regarding tapas in San Diego... i will be going there soon and will surely check that out!

also, for more information on food, check out the discussion thread labeled "Ribera del Duero" under the same heading as this post. here is the link: http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000004.html

we (and you all!) discussed wines and tapas bars both in EEUU and Spain in that HUGE thread, so there is a lot of good information.

enjoy!

ps> the only bummer about the san miguel beer sold here in eeuu is that it is from islas filipinas instead of spain... but it is san miguel, nonetheless!

ps> thanks again, MadridMan, for helping us all learn more about and stay current with La Segunda Patria (¡España!).

#25535 - 08/01/00 11:28 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
La Trucha is good - next time your there, try the asperagus - best I've ever had. It's a super place for tapas and wine or for dinner. Good atmosphere, prices are reasonable and the staff warm and welcoming ....

#25536 - 08/02/00 07:13 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
loida Offline

Loc: Irving, TX 75038
I fell in love with Spanish food here in the US from Guillermo, one of my Madrileno friends. While in Spain, my husband and I gorged on foods from tortilla espanola con ali oli to pulpo a la vinagreta.
Spain is definetely a "foody" place, but I was wondering, why are most of the Spanish women Oh-so-skinny? I would like to know their secret...

#25537 - 08/03/00 08:33 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Why are Spanish women skinny? (in general) 1) they are young (go look at their mammas) 2) they walk everywhere 3) they smoke cigs, which means they eat less (really!) 4) when they have their big meal, they don't follow it up with another big meal later in the day 5) they dance half the night away!

#25538 - 08/03/00 11:12 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
hahaha... good answer, rgf...!

also, spanish have a good diet without highly processed foods, have a generally positive outlook, smiles on their faces even in the worst of times, and base their lives around ¡¡¡FUTBOL/SOCCER!!!

¡que viva la segunda patria!

#25539 - 08/03/00 12:48 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Why are we skinny? I think it is because of our way of life. Americans have a different time to lunch and dinner. We have breakfast at 8 or 9, lunch at 2 or 3 and dinner at 9 or 10. Than means that once that the dinner is done you don't eat much more. Here (America) you eat dinner at 6 so before you go to bed you are hungry again. Moreover our food is healthier (I think) and we walk everywhere. But, who knows, maybe it is in our genes!

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 08-03-2000).]

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments