Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25345 - 04/21/08 02:01 PM Vigo and Gijon
indioladino Offline

Loc: San Diego California
We just got back from Vigo a week ago. Really enjoyed little of what we got to see. We were there on a cruise, Unfortunately we arrived on Sunday and the whole city was closed. The local people were very friendly and polite. I hope to return but next time I would like to be able to rent an apartment for a couple of months and hang out with the locals and get to see the city. We stayed in the Port area as we didn't have a lot of time. As for Gijon, Gijon was very cold and windy but also a beautiful city. Also really nice beach and a beautiful park that you can walk to. But here again you need a lot more time to really see everything. Eddy thanks for the tips if you happen to be reading this By the way for the people who like the Fiesta Brabva (Bullfights) The bulls come to Vigo for the ferria Aug 1- to Aug 9 wink wink

#25346 - 04/21/08 07:28 PM Re: Vigo and Gijon
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It's nice to get positive feedback from someone who has 'walked the walk.' Sunday, you might have gone to Plaza de Compostela (Park) maybe 2km from the Port and seen some Gaiteros (Bagpipers) performing.
I guess the vendors at La Pedra weren't working, either.
In the Port area we have stayed at Bahia Mar, that big hotel right there; and at the Hotel America, a 3-star property about 100m east of la Pedra.
Glad you enjoyed one of my favorire spots in Spain (Pontevedra, Galicia). During the tourist season, everything is probably open Sundays.

#25347 - 05/31/08 03:00 AM Re: Vigo and Gijon
indioladino Offline

Eddie:
I received your e-mail and I have a real good Idea of where your son lives. It' just a little North East of town the section I think it's called North Park. You can take a local bus to within a few blocks of where he lives. I was going to send you a picture of Bahia Mar hotel right across the street from where the ships come in. Vigo is a new port so they really are still working on trying to get it up to speed. They also have a really nice Mall and a Yacht Marina there also When we arrived they had the local TV station there with a camera crew and all. Wish I had time to see the beaches and all. Most of the people are real laid back, I really recommend Vigo for people who want to have a good time and remember we didn't have much time to really see hardly anything By the way my wife took video of the Bag Pipers performing as we arrived in Gijon. We had a balcony so they were right below us. We had a front seat. If you hear anything about La Fiesta in Spain let me know ok.
Thanks
John

#25348 - 05/31/08 03:03 AM Re: Vigo and Gijon
indioladino Offline

Eddie
I think I made a mistake the picture I have is La Bahia across from the port oooops

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments