MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24669 - 08/06/06 02:00 AM Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
Hi,

a buddy and I are going to be meeting in Madrid, and then traveling to some other cities, Segovia being oen of them. I am the one who's coordinating the Segovia trip, and was wondering if a few of you could point out one or more things that you think I should see there. Please only tell me about personal experiences.. that is.. about why *you* enjoyed it and what you enjoyed about it.

Feel free to be candid!

Saludos,
-Rick

#24670 - 08/06/06 04:06 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Suckling Pig! Its cheaper in the afternoon, you can get a menue de dia (did I get that right)

As well I'd recomend a tour bus trip around the city, its reasonable at 5 euros. They offer comentary but the headphone jack wasn't working at the back so I didn't listen to it.

Getting there by bus is also faster than train (1 hour vs 2 hours) If you want go by train there and bus back, busses run every half hour home.

#24671 - 08/06/06 11:14 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
The aqueduct, it is big. Walk around it. Stop under it. Then remember there is no mortar holding it up when you look up. Just math and gravity is holding it up. Then remember the Romans built it.

I think the aqueduct is amazing and beautiful thing to see.

Bill

#24672 - 08/06/06 12:35 PM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I like the castle in Segovia - as I recall you could do a lot of free exploring and it was fun to roam around and the views were superb!!

#24673 - 08/06/06 09:42 PM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
La Profa Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
In the Alcazar (the castle) make a point to climb the tower all the way to the top. The entrance to the stairs is kind of hidden, but you can ask anyone who works there and they'll tell you where they are. The staircase is narrow and spirals all the way to the top. In the past I didn't have to pay extra to climb the stairs, but I was there this past April (with 35 High School Students!) and we all had to pay a few euros each to go to the top. But it is money well spent because the views are INCREDIBLE!!! Not only can you see the town but you can also see the mountains and the countryside around the town. cool

#24674 - 08/07/06 12:55 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
wesrick Offline

Tim Hortons Man, can you tell me about suckling pig? I saw this online.. and frankly, it looks gross. Can you put those to ease? Has anyone seen this in person and been.. what's the phrase.. grossed out?

And, for others, what else should we not miss in Segovia? Keep the ideas coming!

I think we're going to drive to Segovia in case we want to stop somewhere on the way. Would anyone recommend stopping at any particular restaurants or towns on the way?

-Rick

#24675 - 08/07/06 07:35 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Wesrick,

The Suckling pig is great. You shouldn't be grossed out. I'd also recommend the lamb, which is typical of any part of Segovia. I actually like it better. Both go well with a good Ribera del Duero.

I'd also go to the cathedral and just walk around and enjoy the city as a whole. The good thing about going by car is that you could go to La Granja which has a magnificent 18th Century palace and gardens. It's only about six miles away and on the way back to madrid if you decide to go over the mountains, which I also recommend.

#24676 - 08/09/06 12:11 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
wesrick Offline

Murdy, can you be more specific in your directions as far as roads, highways, exits, etc.?

I am planning on taking a GPS, but I like to plan beforehand.

#24677 - 08/09/06 06:17 AM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Murdy is spot on. La Granja is on the road towards Navacerrada from Segovia and is worth a visit, as is the Sierra crossing.

You could then descend via Rascafria and get a real feel for the Sierra, although if you don´t like windy hairpin ridden roads it may not be for you.

Just a few of points of personal opinion, to eat in Segovia and not have suckling pig would be to miss a great tradition. The lamb too is good, but for that I prefer to go to either Pedraza de la Sierra, on the road between Segovia and the N1 Burgos road, or Sepulveda, again just off the N1 road, around km 124 ish.

#24678 - 08/11/06 03:56 PM Re: Segovia: Things you shouldn't miss
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

The name of the town is actually San Ildefonso de la Granja. This is important because you will sometimes see signs for just San Ildefonso. My road map is in my car, but I have another older one which indicates the road as being 601 (probably SG601). In any event, you can always ask. It's really close.

As Jamongris said, going over the mountains is worth the trip. On the way up to Segovia, you should probably take the highway (A-6) to save some time. A few miles past the tunnel you will see signs for the autopista (toll highwway) to Segovia. You can't miss it. Segovia is 90 kilometers (60 miles) from Madrid.

But if you go to La Granja, the main road takes you over the mountains. You can take one which goes to Rascafría (as Jamongris rightly suggested). That takes you through the Valle de Lozoya which is wonderful. If you keep driving you will run into the Burgos highway (A-1) at exit 69, which leads you back to Madrid. It's a great trip but you will need some time.

If time is pressing, you should probably go over Navacerrada (and its famous seven curves on the way up!), head down the mountain and look for signs that lead to Villalba, which takes you back to the A-6 (about exit 35). If you get mixed up, just keep going. All roads lead to the highways eventually!!

By the way, on the main highways to and from Madrid, the exits actually represent the kilometers you are away from the center of Madrid (actually La Puerta del Sol). So exit 69 means 69 kilometers from that point. All exits are related to kilometers, but the A-1 through A-6 are the main ones from Madrid.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, and good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments