Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24551 - 04/04/06 11:05 AM Is Montserrat worth it?
France Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
I know it's a crime, but I have only 3 days in Barcelona....well 2 and a half really...I was wondering if Montserrat is really worth visiting for half a day?? It looks nice and the monastry looks amazing, so I'd like to go, but if it's too far for what it's worth I won't bother going....what do you guys think??? Thanks!

#24552 - 04/04/06 01:18 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I think it takes a little more than half a day to see Montserrat from Barcelona. If you only have 3-days I would say no, don't try to do it.

I was in Barcelona 11 days last month and had EVERY intention of visiting Montserrat but just couldn't fit it in what with all there is to see IN Barcelona. The Montserrat monastery is pretty cool, only tourists go there now, but I wouldn't rank it higher than the things you should really see IN Barcelona.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24553 - 04/04/06 04:42 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I visited as a daytrip from Barcelona last year in October. I say skipped it if you cannot go all day. There is way too much to see and do. I took the first train to into Montserrat from Barcelona and almost miss the last train back to Barcelona.

Tell you the truth I found the Monastery boring, over run by tour groups and people looking for miracles. I could not wait to get far way from it and thought about leaving early. Lucky for me, the tourist office went into detail about the trails you can walk, so decided to walk some of them. wink

I think the must see at Montserrat are the trails. The views along the trails is spectacular and not too many tourists do them. The best one is the lower one, I believe if my memory is correct it is called Santa Cova. Long winding trail, pictures views of the valley below, and the mountains above, religious statues along the way and at the end is a small church. cloud9

If you cannot give yourself a day there, come back when you can.

Bill

#24554 - 04/04/06 06:49 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
When I was in Barcelona in 2000, I had only 3 days for the area, so we spent two nights in Barcelona, and one night at Monserrat. In fact, we were driving, so we went to Monserrat first, spent the night at the hotel right there at the monastery. We arrived about 5 pm, and the last tour bus passed us going down as we went up. We visited the Basilica, literally by ourselves (in summer), and heard a choir practicing somewhere there. We spent some solitary time in the all gold and silver area above the altar where the Black Madonna is. That experience is still a major highlight of my many trips to Spain. We had a nice dinner at the hotel, then woke up early and went hiking. Amazing. Then, we went to the fabulous art museum there, before any of the tour buses arrived. I still remember specific pieces of beautiful art there. We drove down the mountain before it got crowded, then drove into Barcelona to drop off our rental car.

In my opinion, Monserrat is not to be missed. One of the most spectacular places in the world. But, don't go on a half day tour, because with the crowds, you won't get the spirituality of the place. Try it the way we did, and you'll be delighted. But, do bring earplugs for your overnight experience, because they do ring the monastery bells every hour all night long. By the fourth hour, they definitely lose their charm.

I can't find the actual hotel web site, but you can see it here:
http://www.pilgrimreservations.com/services/reservation/view_destination.php...

And, here is a link to Rick Steve's notes about Montserrat:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/spain/montserrat.htm

#24555 - 04/05/06 01:48 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
France Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Wow, that's great aidance...thanks for the links, I will definitly check it out...I am still undecided...I'd like to check it out just to say I've seen it and I've been, but then again, I don't want to waste my time - my boyfriend is quite indifferent and says it's for me to decide....agh, the pressure!

#24556 - 04/05/06 05:46 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hotel Abat Cisneros' official website seems to be a shared one but you'll find information (but no prices listed) at http://www.abadiamontserrat.net/ - click "accommodation" and then "information and services" and then "accommodation" again. To enquire about reservations/prices go to the page @ http://www.abadiamontserrat.net/html/eng/index_serveis.htm and click the "information" link next to the hotel graphic to send an email. ¡Suerte! Also, the http://www.abadiamontserrat.net/ website is the official one for the monastery. The seemingly "official" tourism website for Monstserrat is at http://www.montserratvisita.com/ - HERE, under the "Where to sleep" menu option at left you also have more information about the Hotel Abat Cisneros including prices and reservation via phone/email/online. The room prices are SURPRISINGLY reasonable!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24557 - 04/08/06 10:01 PM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Wow! I was just going to ask if anyone had stayed at the Abat Cisneros! Thanks MadridMan for the links!

We plan on staying there during our stay in Montserrat. My parents stayed there about three years ago and they loved it!

Saludos!

laugh

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#24558 - 04/09/06 04:04 AM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
nevado Offline

I agree with Aidance; I love Montserrat! I did the night over about 10 years ago- at that time I stayed at the hostal and it was dirt cheap. I sent my parents to the hotel a few years later and prices were indeed still reasonable. The views hiking were fantastic and really, if you get there late afternoon you'll have the whole mountain to yourselves. I don't remember the bells...must have had enough wine to sleep throughout the night!

#24559 - 04/13/06 05:57 AM Re: Is Montserrat worth it?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Montserrat is very touristy, but I thought it was worth it, quite enjoyed it, I would suggust spending a few hours with the tourists and then spend the rist of the day hiking. We went during the heat of the summer so didn't do to much hiking, but enjoyed much the same.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments