Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24448 - 03/06/06 10:36 AM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
TracGA Offline

Does anyone know the true estimate of time based on the following. I cant seem to find it in the travel books:
~It seems pretty cheap but is it quick and easy to fly from Madrid to San Sebastian area(or do you have to get to the airport 2-hours in advance, exp. delays, etc)?
~Drive time from San Sebastian to Pamplona and what is the best rental company to use?
~Train time from Pamplona to Barcelona and what train do you take?

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I'll keep posting based on what we decide. We are leaning towards Madrid (and area), San Sebastian, Pamplona, Barcelona (and area)...in that order.

#24449 - 03/16/06 06:47 AM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think personally Barcelona is a nicer city than Madrid, I was put off at first by how unkempt it can be and the traffic is horrible. Madrid takes a while to grow on you.

But having said that it is worth visiting. If you go couple of tips, avoid eating in Paza Major, very touristy and expensive, walk a short bit to find more reasonably priced food.

Secondly unlike Barcelona very few people speak English even in the touristy areas so bring a phrase book and Food glossary. Not every place has the menu tanslated.

On the postive once I figured what to order I found the food fabulous.

#24450 - 03/21/06 07:10 AM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
Tullie Offline

Loc: Almachar, Malaga
San Sebastian doesn't have an airport . The nearest is Bilbao, which is 100kms away.

You would have to get to the airport in advance to check in, Flights are cheap about 79 euros on Spanair and they have a commitment to running on time! or offering compensation if they leave more than 10mins late I think!

Its 81.7 kms from San Sebastian to Pamplona.

#24451 - 03/21/06 09:08 AM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
The San Sebastian airport is in Fuenterrabia (EAS/LESO), very near the French border. Driving from Madrid to San Sebastian will take about 6 hours, and it's a very pleasant drive. You could have lunch in Burgos, then head over to Bilbao.... Driving in Spain will allow you to see the smaller villages, and make some unexpected, delightful discoveries.

#24452 - 04/05/06 09:10 AM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
Monza Offline

Loc: Australia
I say to get the real feel of Spain you should visit as many small villages as possible. The most enjoyable times I spent in Spain were not only visiting the museums, flamenco shows and cathedrals but also taking the time to sit and watch the people while I sipped on a sangria or a coffee in a village where hardly anyone speaks English.The challenge was very rewarding.

#24453 - 04/12/06 07:06 PM Re: 1st Trip to Spain!
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I hope all is going well with your travel plans. I've got some suggestions for you..

My wife and I have been to Europe 3 times in the last 5 years, twice to Spain and London and Paris, and like us I'm sure you feel you want to see everything. The simple fact is you just can't. Moving around from town to town every other day can be taxing. Dragging your luggage and souvenirs through train stations, subways, taxis and airports gets crazy.

With 10 days to live it up here are my suggestions. If I understand correctly, you fly home from Barcelona. With that in mind when, you get to Madrid, STAY a few days. You will be jet lagged. Stay in the Puerta Del Sol area Saturday and Sunday. There is plenty to see while you re-coup. You'll be able to walk or take the metro to The Prado, Plaza Mayor, The Royal Palace not to mention THE FOOD and WINE. Every step you'll take on the streets is like going back in time. There is so much history and culture on every block.

On Monday fly into Bilbao for your Basque experience.

The Bilbao airport seems to be the least expensive to fly in and out of. Madrid to Bilbao on Iberia is $113.00 for two people. If you fly into San Sebastian it's about $400.00.

Stay in the region till Friday or Saturday and then fly out of Bilbao to Barcelona. Once again, the Pamplona or San Sebastian flights to Barcelona will cost $460-$530.

That will give you 3-4 nights in beautiful Barcelona. It's a great city to unwind in. Just make sure on Friday or Saturday night you find yourself on Las Ramblas. It's hopping on most any summer night but the weekends are awesome.

And when it's time to leave on Tuesday you'll find it pretty easy to get the bus to BCN airport.

If there is one important thing I've learned, it's that you'll enjoy just being there. If you have to spend too much time traveling from town to town you loose the relaxing part of a holiday.

In short,

Madrid, you see the heart of the country and culture!

Basque Region, you'll get the happening party beach towns in mid-summer!

Barcelona, you'll get the modern Catalan/Gaudi experience.

You'll be in the mix of some of the best to country has to offer.

Last but not least, be prepared to cut things from your list of places to see and don't feel bad about it. It has to happen in all trips.

Be safe in what ever you choose!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments