MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24316 - 10/06/05 04:15 PM Re: Now That is Special Madrid
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I took the first train in and last train out when I visited Montserrat. Spent the whole day there, I am exhausted and need a vacation from Montserrat. At least my legs do! cool

All in all I think Montserrat is amazing and depressing.

Depressing with all the sick or handicapped people showing up looking for a miracle. It made me think see them. They are looking for miracles by going to shrines like the one at Montserrat. Healthy people look for miracles by playing the lottery. Same thing, its just a different god people give money to.

Maybe I need a miracle too. God if you make me the smartest person on the planet I promise to spend the rest of my life looking for a cure for cancer. God I am I still idiot. I guess you want people to have cancer. confused

Visually Montserrat is amazing when you get away (run away from them fast as you can) from the main square and cathedral where all the tourist hang out. You have to walk the trails taking in the views which I think make Montserrat different from the religious experience and why I came.

I did two walks in Montserrat. The easy one to Santa Cova Monastery. Very picturesque views and lots of photos ops.

When I reached the Monastery I had to wait 45 minutes for two women to leave who were praying. I let them have their peaceful time, did not want to disturbed them with the snap of my camera. But the did try my patience.

After that I went up, really up to the top were they have the nature walks. Foolish me I did the Sant Joan over 1300 meters up (over 4000 feet) walk. It takes over an hour one way and the last leg is nothing but steps. My legs are still hurting from all the pounding from those steep steps when I walked down. Carry 20 pounds of camera gear does not help the situation and running make it to the funicular because I was not sure when the last one was.

I am proud I did make it up there. Managed to take photos of the sign showing the how high the point is, the compass and most of all the views. I wished someone was there to take my photo to prove I did it, but I have the memories. On the other hand I did it because I really did not know how high and long it was going to be. rolleyes (Reading the last sentence the word 'idot' pops into my head)

Today I visited Barcelonaīs beach in the morning. If I live here I wonder were I want to have my morning coffee. Up the mountain? Near by at a cafe? Or on the beach? Because they are all close by and in walking distance. I think that one of the things I find in Barcelona that makes it unique. Itīs diversity. Can one say that about other places in Spain? confused (I do not know the answer)

Tomorrow is Sitges, last day trip I will make. It is getting close to the end of my vacation. Today is the first time I thought about work, but it was just for a second.

Bill

(Bill, who is thinking writing the stuff is a complete was of his time and the only one who is interested in reading it is Bill.) wink

#24317 - 10/07/05 10:22 AM Re: Now That is Special Madrid
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I finally made a mistake in my travel plans. Having just come back from Sitges for the day, I wished I made plans to spend the night there.

I love the peace and quite along Sitgesīs beaches (different from the noisy Barcelona) and found the time to take off my shoes, roll up my pants and walked along the beach barefoot. My feet loved the wet sand and cool water, it was the rest my feet needed from the beating they took Montserrat.

I had lunch, expensive one 40 euros at La Salseta, Saint Pau 35 in Sitges. It was recommended by the owner of the hostel I am staying at. I always have expensive meal and the end of my trip and was not disappointed. My main meal was layers of pork stuff with black and white sausage. A meal to remember and I will. laugh

Tomorrow is my last day in Barcelona. The next day I fly home and the day after that I go back to work. Right now I feel I won the lottery, spent all my winnings now I go back to work because I am broke. I guess next year I will win the lottery again.

This will be my last message posted, take care all. :o

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments