Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24280 - 09/15/05 12:50 PM Visit Segovia and Avila in one Day?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Do you think this is a good idea?

I was thinking leave very early in the morning for Segovia from Madrid where I will be staying. In the afternoon visit Avila and return to Madrid.

I have four days in Madrid and one day is planned for a daytrip. laugh

Thanks

Bill

#24281 - 09/15/05 05:52 PM Re: Visit Segovia and Avila in one Day?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
As the Spanish would put it, "Por poder se puede". Yes, it can be done, especially if you leave early enough, but it is a lot, I have to admit. The good thing is that it's all highway from Madrid to Segovia (60 miles) so it doesn't take that long. The last twenty miles is a toll highway, by the way.

But I'm inclined to say it isn't a good idea.

If you're dying to see Ávila, then go for it, but you might want to reconsider. If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely pick Segovia. Not that Ávila isn't nice (it's pretty and the walls are impressive and all), it's just that it doesn't have as much life as Segovia. Plus Segovia has the triple combo of the aqueduct, cathedral and castle (alcazar) all there in the same place, not to mention the squares, streets and restaurants...you'll need some time to get through it all.

Another thought might be for you to go to Segovia in the morning, have lunch and then visit La Granja afterwards on your way back. It's just eight miles away from Segovia and it has a beautiful 18th Century palace and gardens at the foot of the mountains. The town where the palace is, San Ildefonso, is nice too. Then you could head back to Madrid by going over the Puerto de Navacerrada, this is the area where "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is supposed to have taken place.

You'd be retracing four or five major periods in Spanish history in a single day!

This is a route I've done numerous times for visitors and it has always worked out well. And even so, it is a full day. The good thing about going to La Granja is that in a sense you are working your way back to Madrid. If you go on to Ávila, you're actually going farther away.

As I said, it can be done, but... laugh

#24282 - 09/16/05 05:12 AM Re: Visit Segovia and Avila in one Day?
Monofeo Offline

Loc: Metro Los Angeles, California
I am with Murdy. Avila and Segovia deserve at least a whole day each. I would recommend staying in Segovia overnight, and enjoy the ambience of the city. We stayed late in Segovia, so we can have dinner at a popular restaurant. Since we were driving, we weren't in a hurry. We did not regret it! It was one of the highlights of Segovia. As we waited for the restaurant to open to serve dinner, we waited in the plaza. Watching the people socialize and interacting was really nice. It allowed us to take in everything around us. One thing I regret that we didn't do was take a walk along the river, just below the walls of the city. A member of the message board recommended doing it. Next time!

We did Escorial and Segovia all in one day, and that was a full day. It is best that you take your time and enjoy each individual city. Otherwise, you may feel too rushed and not fully enjoy it.

Have a great time! I can't wait to go back!

#24283 - 09/16/05 08:01 AM Re: Visit Segovia and Avila in one Day?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks all.

I will skip doing this bad idea. laugh

Bill

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments